A1C success story for a Type 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 41
mrfino Posted: Sat, Oct 3 2009 2:15 PM

A1C comparison: Nov. '08 = 7.8     Sept. '09 = 5.8

I've been on metformin for many years but my BG got progressively worse even when I was exercising.  I was on glimepiride from November '08 until March '09. That helped get my A1C down a bit, but my weight went from about 174 to 187 and I constantly struggled to avoid lows.  In March '09 I started on Byetta.  Since then I've lowered my A1C from 6.9 to 5.8 and I've lost about 25 pounds. Throughout the late spring and summer I walked 45 minutes to an hour at least 5 days a week, although exercise has been more challenging over the last month with the shorter days and increased demands on my time now that my wife and kids are back in school. I really credit the Byetta for much of this success. I just wanted to share this for what it's worth.

John

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sat, Oct 3 2009 5:12 PM

Congratualtions.  I am stilll waiting on test results.  Hoping to see a drop from 6.3 of last time.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Sat, Oct 3 2009 6:33 PM

Great A1c, John.  Sometimes it takes a while to find the right tools to deal with diabetes.  After 10 years of diet & exercise only, I went on meds.  Metformin at 1000 caused lows.  So my doc prescribed Janumet.  Better results, but still not where we want it.  So, because increasing Janumet would automatically increase the Met part of the pill, my doctor suggested we break it up into its two components.  So, the Jan (Januvia) part was increased, but the Met (Metformin) stayed at 500 mg.  We'll see how it goes.  Next step (which my doctor and I have already discussed) is to try Byetta.  So, I was pleased to hear your report about it.  Meanwhile, close monitoring of diet and exercise continues. 

Spirit

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 173
zrebiec replied on Sun, Oct 4 2009 11:02 AM

Congratulations on both your weight loss and A1c. We would certainly encourage you to keep up the walking. The research is now fairly clear that the three keys to not regaining the weight that one loses are: 1. exercise 2. exercise 3. exercise.

Regards,

John Zrebiec, MSW, CDE

Joslin Moderator

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS