Levemir & Byetta

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Teresa B posted on Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:39 PM

I take 45 units of Levemir at night and now I also am injecting Byetta twice a day (the combo has greatly reduced my numbers).  I have not seen anything posted regarding taking the two injectibles - does anyone know what the risk are if any of taking both???

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

I am now in a clinical study through medstar . I and half the people start with levemir, and the other half start with Byetta. After 12 weeks, if the aic is not at 6.5 we get the other one. I have been told it is working well for those who take both. I am not concerned about this issue. So, i think taking both is fine

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

After 12 weeks on levemir, and finally up to 68 units, my aic went from 9.3 to 7.3. I have now added byetta as part of this clinical trial

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Fri, May 7 2010 3:24 PM

.My friend was taking both but the byetta made her sick. She is on Symlin now and still taking both

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
macnick replied on Mon, May 10 2010 9:14 PM

Byetta caused weightloss for me and I've managed to keep my weight down where it should be.  I'm not familiar with Levemir though, sorry.  It's a good idea to know how the two meds work with other conditions you may have.  I was taken of of med because of my osteoporois (recently diagnosed with that).  They took Actos away because it is known to not help with thinning bones and last Nov. I fell and broke my right ankle.  That was my only fracture I've ever had.

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Tue, May 11 2010 7:47 AM

The two drugs work in entirely different manners.  Levimir is a non peaking insulin used to replace basal requirements.  It is generally considered effective for 24 hours, but I seem to only be getting about 14 or 15 hours out of it (but I only take 10 units, so it may be too small a dose for 24 hours).

Byetta is a DPP inhibitor mimetic.  It is made from the saliva of gila monsters (yes, the poisonous lizard from the desert SW in the US and Mexico).  By inhibiting the release of DPP, Byetta appears to help reduce insulin resistance making any injected insulin more effective, or improving ones own insulin effectiveness as well.  In addition, Byetta slows gastric emptying reducing the amount of glucose entering the bloodstream at any one time, thus reducing the requirement for insulin.  It does have the side effect of nausea for some though.  I was unable to handle it and had to get off that med.

Hope the combination continues to work for you.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

I am finding that the addition of byetta to my my daily dosage of 68 units of levemir is quite effective. My post meal blood glucose is substantially under control and my fasting glucose is usually in the 80's.i will soon be moving from 5mcg to 10 mcg of byetta.I have already cut in half my daily dose of glimipiride and expect to eliminate it completely. Of course, 30 to 60 minutes of aggressive aerobic exercise also helps!

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

I am now on levemir 72 units once a day, 10mcg of byetta twice a day, and metformin  I started the byetta 3 weeks ago, after 12 weeks of levemir. I now have perfect control. H A1C is now down to 6.5 and going down. This is quite different than HA1c of 9.3 in January.i no longer have any blood sugar tests over 200.

Thank you medstar for this great clinical trial

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

i have completed the clinical trial combining levemir and byetta. I am now using 52 units of levemir, byetta twice a day, and my A1C is 5.6. oh, and i exercise vigorously 45 minutes a day. I am 60myears old, and have been a type 2 for 20 years

Top 10 Contributor
Male
374 Posts

Do you have any problems with going too low?

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

That is a very good question. The short answer is no problem at all. However, for the first 3 months of the clinical program i took only levemir and by the end i was up to, i think 78 units. Then i started taking byetta along with it, and i did experience some night time only episodes of hypoglycemia. We gradually eliminated glimipiride and lowered the units of levemir. now, at 52 units , i do not go low at all. Although i live in Alexandria, Va the Medstar trial was in Maryland. medstar is in many places.In many ways, being part of a clinical trial was a good motivator and i highly recommend it if you can find the right trial.I hope this helps.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

As i mentioned below, i dont think there is any risk as long as you get the units right and don't get low blood sugar too much.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Fri, Aug 6 2010 7:22 AM

Some of my friends are on byetta.  all of them spend most of the time fighting nausea and vomiting.  I can't see taking a drug that will make me feel that way.  I have been on levemir since Jan '09.  My A1c is now 5.7 and I have lost 91 pounds and gone from 68 units to 35.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

i never get nautious anymore from byetta. I take it within 15 to 20 minutes of eating.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

I still take Levemir and byetta and metformin successfully. Along with regular exercise and healthy eating i maintain great control. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I strongly advocate this regimen for the appropriate diabetic.Joel Steinberg

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS