Levemir & Byetta

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Teresa B posted on Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:39 PM

I take 45 units of Levemir at night and now I also am injecting Byetta twice a day (the combo has greatly reduced my numbers).  I have not seen anything posted regarding taking the two injectibles - does anyone know what the risk are if any of taking both???

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

i dont believe there are any risks to taking both. My doctor prescribes it. in 2010/2011 i was in a clinical program testing the use of both. The results were positive. no incidents of hypoclycemia, reduced h a1c. 

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
sue96 replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:19 AM

Hi everyone, I am a Brit, living in Malta and am new to your community.

I'm very interested in your experiences with using Byetta and Levemir together.

I have been on Byetta for 4 yrs and have now added Levemir since my T2 diabetes was progressing. I am intolerant of most oral meds.

I'm not sure of the best times to take the drugs - Byetta needs to be within an hour before food, so I have been taking it before breakfast and evening meal, as I always did. The Levemir I am adding in at lunchtime and bedtime (having been told to split my dose for best results). Is this the best way? 

Best wishes, Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Male
374 Posts
Simi_Papa replied on Sun, Mar 18 2012 1:32 PM

I was told to take my levemir at bedtime and not to split my dose.  I went to Levemir after 5 years on Byetta because my kidneys were failing because of the Byetta.  My kidneys are normal now and I am off the Levemir as well.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:11 AM

Levimir, though advertised as a 24hr non-peaking insulin, does generally start to tail off in effectiveness before 24 hours has passed.  It's peak activity usually kicking in around 4 hour and staying generally consistent for about 16 more hours.  Splitting the dose helps to keep the peak activity more consistent by avoiding the tail off periods.

My doctor thought about using a split dose, but I simply take my 14 units later in the day....this helps to keep my fasting numbers more in line.

As for Byetta, I can't say.  I tried using it...wasn't able to get past the nausea when moving up to the larger dose.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
12 Posts

I found that by losing 9 pounds i am no longer on Byetta or levemir. I am now just doing glimipiride and metformin. I am 5'9" and now weigh 156 and used to weigh 165. Being thin and light has its benefits

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS