honeymoon phase

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
Joyce Melton Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:02 PM

My 14 year-old son was diagnosed Type 1 in December 2009 with an A1C of 11.5. He was on Lantus and Novolog for over a month and a half and now is in a honeymoon phase. His current A1C is 7.5 and he does not require any insulin and is maintaining normal blood sugars for almost a month now. I am trying to find out if there are any ways to prolong this honeymoon phase. We are in South Carolina and unfortunately there are no studies going on at our clinic. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have heard that taking a small amount of insulin might help prolong this phase by keeping the islet cells functioning? ? Thanks so much!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 11:14 AM

The method you suggest has been studied, and I recall the outcome was that there was no benefit. There probably is no harm of still using insulin to keep BG as normal as possible, as long as you can avoid any lows.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS