Should a Type 1 be taking pills?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Loria posted on Sat, Mar 27 2010 11:34 AM

I am a recently diagnosed Type 1 diabetic. My GAD 65 antibodies were 20.2 (positive), but my c-peptide level is in the normal range at 1.7. My doctor is refusing me insulin because of the c-peptide test and insists on giving me oral medications even though I am getting some neuropathy pain in my feet, have blurry vision, and I think I am getting a so-called 'frozen shoulder' I am maxed out on 2000 mg Metformin ER, 20 mg glypizide XL, and 100 mg Januvia Daily.  My fasting blood sugars are consistently close to  or over 200. I have some anaphylactic insulin allergies (very rare!) but I tested as NOT allergic to Humalog. Shouldn't she be putting me on insulin? My allergist suggests putting me on the insulin pump right away to keep me from becoming allergic to the Humalog. Is it possible to start insulin immediately on the pump? Help!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Ron AKA replied on Sat, Mar 27 2010 11:57 AM

I think you need to get a new doctor. If you are a slow developing later in life type 1 diabetic, then yes sometimes the doctor will choose to treat with an insulin stimulating drug first. Glipizide is of that type. However, if BG is not being controlled then yes insulin would seem to be the obvious choice. Novolog is similar to Humalog and some think it may be better (faster). Don't know about the direct to pump question. You really do need to get a second opinion on your treatment.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 50 Contributor
Male
33 Posts
GreenGiant replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:13 PM

Loria,

hopefully by now you have found a new doctor.  were you seeing an endocrinologist or a GP?  From the numbers it sounds like you need to using insulin.

Fred

Type 1

Minimed Paradigm 522 and CGM

"Any idiot can face a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears you down."

Anton Checkov

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS