new board

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 8:53 AM

Shortie,

I can't feel too sorry for you. -2, WOW!!!

The Twin Cities just ended a streak of 86 straight hours below 0. Yesterday it was -23.

Wink Keep warm.

jorgie

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
lebrecht replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 11:50 AM

Today in Southern California it will be 80 degrees again. Bright sunshine.

SO BORING:  IndifferentBig Smile

Anne

Type 2  for 25 years. On insulin, Humalog, Lantus. 

Published author:     http://www.annelebrecht.com 

Novels, Poetry, Short Stories, Articles.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 1:04 PM

Jorgie:

Just for the sake of argument, I just put only the word Joslin in google. I think clicked on discussion boards and here I am. Really tough??????

The problem is that a new diabetic probably has no idea of the association of Joslin to diabetes.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 1:20 PM

tylersydney:

How do you put a photo or place male/female sign on your post?

Beside your name near the top right of the screen, click on Edit. On the first profile page you can insert a photo for the Avatar, which will show up on every post. If you click off the box lower down for male or female then the symbol shows up as well on each post.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 1:44 PM

Mikelbear:

I for one was a long-time member of the previous boards and will probably not be using this new one--I just do not like it at all, sorry.

Michael, I hope you choose to stay. I find your posts unique and most informative -- especially in response to those dealing with frustration of type 1 BG control, or long term diabetes burnout.

Ron

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 8
ces replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 5:00 PM

Dee:

I've been guilty of lurking a lot and hardly ever posting, after all someone always posts the comment I would have made.  The board is US, we have to keep it going.  It was invaluable to me when I was diagnosed, and it would be a shame to let it just fade away. 

Dee,
I agree and I've been doing the same thing.
This was the first board I found when I was diagnosed and I found it helpful and very non-threatening. People answered my questions and even better, by reading I found answers to questions I didn't even know I had (yet...).
Maybe if we all try to post and respond more often, we'll all learn how to navigate this new board.
That said, after writing this response, I attempted to install the spell checker and lost what I'd just written!

And to Ron - I love that you found Fred such a great avatar!

Colleen

T1-LADA, 3/05

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 6:38 PM

Colleen:  Yeah, I ran into spell check issues, too.  At first it worked fine, then it sort of disappeared and made a couple of my posts disappear also.  There seem to be some obstacles and a new learning curve we all need to overcome while switching to this new board.  I hope that as we all become more facile in navigating this new place our community will re-form and once again be the supportive place we know it to be. 

Spirit

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Sun, Feb 1 2009 11:30 AM

This is my point too. Amazing how few people are posting.Sad

jorgie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 30
Janet replied on Sun, Feb 1 2009 12:38 PM

Ron AKA:

Jorgie:

Just for the sake of argument, I just put only the word Joslin in google. I think clicked on discussion boards and here I am. Really tough??????

The problem is that a new diabetic probably has no idea of the association of Joslin to diabetes.

I agree entirely.  I had never heard of Joslin before I chanced upon the boards back in October 2003 and I doubt very much if I am the only one.

Yesterday, on the other hand, I was specifically looking for the new boards, yet the first link I found took me to the old ones - not a lot of point for most people when they are closed, locked and about to expire – the old boards, that is, not the people!  I wanted to read through all the old posts that I had missed while away, but most people will be looking for current, active boards.  Apart from getting the search tags for the new boards right, surely it is a simple matter to add an automatic redirection from the old boards or at the very least, a really clear link from them to the new?

Having nothing better to do on a cold, wet Sunday evening, I have just put 'Joslin forum' in Google and the first relevant hit was one of your posts, Ron, which came in at no. 14 on the results list.  Say no more …

Janet   Paradise 

Type 2, diagnosed August 2002.  Taking Metformin and a whole raft of other meds.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Sun, Feb 1 2009 1:08 PM

Okay this response from Jan came to me via my email!  I always un click email responses??????  I like to come to the site to read.

And upon reading Jan's post that googling the words joslin forum brings her to a member of this forum's post, SCARES ME.  As I said in another post, my macbook says this site connection is not safe----and now hearing a google search can bring anyone from anywhere in the world into the site without registering...and that fact we rarely see the people from Joslin on here posting ....and Eric you have never told us your affiliation to Joslin?  could u do that please?  Am I being crazy here?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 12:23 AM

I think the post of mine that Google finds is the one where I highlighted the problem and what terms should but put somewhere on the sight so that a Google search finds it. Obviously the Google search engine found those terms I suggested and brings up the hits. Seems strange that a search on those terms without Joslin is still not coming up earlier on the list.

About the security issue, there is nothing private about the posts here. Google will be "reading" them all. If you put a unique set of text in a post and then do a search on Google a couple of weeks later for that same text, you are likely to find that post.

Ron

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 9:50 AM

I just did an ego search, and in the 37 pages of results I scanned before I gave up, Google found many of my articles but not one of my Joslin posts.  True, unlike Ron AKA, etc., I don't often post about problems/results.  I'm happy to see that not every post makes it to the world via Google.

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 2:08 PM

I just did a Google search using some terms that I thought would find you. Here are the #1 and #2 ranked hits from Google:

1 - http://forums.joslin.org/JoslinDiscussionBoards/p/142/714.aspx

2 - http://forums.joslin.org/JoslinDiscussionBoards/p/163/643.aspx

Don't think it is possible to hide from Google.

Ron

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 5:24 PM

Ron

Did our other site also do this and I just did not know it.

I did notice the first link you posted did not have the LOCKED icon on the messages that the second one did?

I did notice that those goggle links brought you to the website, but you do have to register to log in....

shortie

any idea why I am getting these messages in my email when I do declick the "email me replies to this post "button?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Mon, Feb 2 2009 7:00 PM

Shortie it would be the same with the old site. Goggle is not fussy.

On the e-mail notifications I have not had that problem. In the Edit, Site Options, I have the "Allow this site or partner to contact me" questions checked off as NO. Further down I have a NO on all the send e-mail notification questions. Hope that works for you.

Ron

Page 3 of 7 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS