Glucose Monitoring

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
5 Posts
emann posted on Wed, Jul 14 2010 5:16 PM

I am currently non-diabetic, but monitor my level regularly due to a family history of diabetes.  The question I have is that even though my after meal levels are always normal, my fasting levels are usually high.  One hour after meals, my level never goes above 125.  After 2 hours, it goes down.  My fasting levels are usually high nineties, low 100's.  On some occassions my fasting level has been higher than the after meal level.  I have a thin build and run daily.  The only variable is that I work until midnight, and usually have a meal before I go to bed.  Even though I fast for eight hours before I take a reading, I'm not sure if that late night meal has something to do with the high reading.  My doctor says not to worry about anything unless the fasting level gets to 130.  According to what I've read, I should be worrying if it exceeds 100.  Is there any reason why the fasting level would be high, and after meal levels would be normal.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Eric

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
14 Posts
PumperB replied on Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:19 PM

You do have to take into consideration what is referred to as the Pre-Dawn syndrome. It is normally started around 3-4 am and your body begins to 'store' sugars so that you have energy to rise and begin activities in the morning. It is a normal occurrence and all Diabetics must be aware of this.

A pump wearer usually adjusts their basil rate to start increasing at 3-4 am to adjust for this.

I agree with your doc- enjoy your life without diabetes and don't sweat the small stuff. Go get the blood test to see if you have the diabetes chromosome and then you won't have to needlessly test.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS