New and need help

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
Marie Posted: Sat, Jul 24 2010 11:42 PM
on 24 Jul 2010 3:54 AM

I have just found the Joslin site.  I spent a week at Joslin in the late seventies but haven't been back because I live in Louisiana and am short on money.  I was diagnosed with type 1 in September 1969.  I have never been on a message board or anything like it.  I have looked at the doctors at Joslin and have some questions that I would like to address to two, Dr. Edward S. Horton and Dr. Marg-Elizabeth Patti.  I have many complications from diabetes, but I try to lead an active life.  I do need some help.  I do not know how to address these problems, and my doctors here do not know what is causing them, but they are good doctors - internist, endocrinologist, cardiologist, nephrologist, orthopaedic.  I have diabetic retinopathy, severe neuropathy, had a quadruple bypass in 1998 and a stent in 2004, had two strokes in 2000, have had charcot foot since the late 1990's and just had to have surgery on my leg in April to put seven screws, five pins and a plate in because I fell and broke it, have tendon problems in my hands and shoulders, have hypoglycemic episodes where I lose consciousness for the last six years, am sometimes insulin resistant but othertimes am not, sleep 12 to 18 hours a day once or twice a week at least.  Nothing in my endocrine system has worked for over 20 years.  My last A1c, three weeks ago, was 6.3 which is very high for me.  My total cholestorel is 110; my creatinin was 1.0.  I love to train my dogs but have been able to do it less often as the years pass because I am so very tired.  When I became diabetic when I was 15, I weighed 109 poinds but have gained slowly for the last 40 years and gained 50 pounds 10 years ago and weigh 200+ now and cannot lose it even though the diatician says that I eat less than 1000 calories a day which is my normal eating habit without any diets or anything.  I would like to talk to someone and hope that I have finally found the right place.

Thank you very much,

Marie and the Teche kids

Diagnosed with type 1 September 1969.  25 units Lantus twice a day, Novolin R 2 - 5 times a day taking anywhere from 25 - 110 units per day, many other prescribed pills every day

Marie and the Teche kids

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear Marie and Teche kids:

Welcome to the boards.   As moderators of the Joslin boards we are not able to provide specific medical advice.  Other participants can offer suggestions, however  staff here can not offer medical opinions in this type of forum.  Seeing a health care provider who can oversee your entire care would be helpful.    If you have any general questions I would be happy to find answers to them.   Sometimes reducing calories severly has the opposite of the intended effect, the body responds as if it were starving and hangs onto every calorie very tightly.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS