The Pump

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Breann Posted: Sun, Aug 8 2010 3:27 PM

My parents are attempting to get an appointment at the clinic in Boston (I'm 11 years old).  We live in Arizona.  I want to get on the pump but we can't find out what type of pump (the actual name brand) that the Joslin clinic recommends.  They are worried that they may buy one here and find out, when we get to the clinic, that they bought the wrong one.  The pumps are very expensive and they don't want to buy more than one. 

Can anyone help me with the type of pump to look for here in arizona?

Thank you.

Breann

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 31
Debbie replied on Tue, Aug 10 2010 9:31 AM

Hi Breann - I am sorry it has taken me a few days to reply to you.  You have asked a great question.  Usually we recommend that our patients make an appointment with their providers at the Joslin before ordering an insulin pump so that we can first discuss whether the patient is a good pump candidate.  Then if all the providers think that the patient is a good pump candidate we all discuss which pump might be best.  Also we do not usually recommend one specific pump over the other pumps on the market.  If you would like to find out more information about our pediatric pump program you can call 617-732-2603.

-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2

Breann,

I just discovered the Joslin Clinic.  But my son is 16 and he uses the Medtronic MiniMed.  He has had it for about a year and a half.  The insurance paid for the pump.  You might ask your partent's insurance if they would pay for one.  It is a good idea to ask around to see the likes and dislikes.  My son does not test as often as he should and if you get a pump.  Promise to test often.

M

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Sat, Nov 13 2010 4:43 PM

I am speaking from 15 years as a pump user in the adult community. Whenever a newbie asks "Which pump should I get?" the answer from other pump users is always something like:

All the current pumps do essentially the same thing. You (and your parents) should look at all the pumps (mm, animas, roche, omnipod) and pick the one that has features that most appeal to you. If your doctor won't support that choice, the pump company will go to bat for you. The person who will be using the pump should be the one who makes the choice.

Although I have lots of experience with Dr. Wolpert in the adult section of Joslin Clinic, I am not familiar with how Joslin Clinic handles childhood and adolescent pump use.

Tom Beatson

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12
MikeyDee replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 8:16 PM

Since I just got on the pump myself, I would say to you like the man above, get the pump you like best! They all do the same job and each one has a unique feature that the others don't. The clinic you mention is going to know the ends and outs of each one by heart.

There is no wrong one as far as I can see. Some of the 'extra's I'm talking about you probably already googled for yourself. The Medtronics MiniMed comes with the black/white display screen (actually it's green with grey text). This unit has a add-on CGMS monitor that talks to the pump and puts up a graph of where your blood glucose is at during your active and in-active hours for so many hours/days etc. The DexCom 7+ does the same thing with pumps different from the MiniMed just so you understand. The MiniMed also comes with a wireless OneTouch blood glucose Meter that enters your BG value an then you manually enter how many carbohydrates you plan to consume to get the total amount of insulin you'll need for your meal.

The Animas OneTouch Ping is basically the same with the wireless meter except it has a color display an the ability to store 50 of your favorite foods in it's memory taken from the CalorieKing carbohydrate software schedule. Both of these features I consider highly user friendly.

Then for the OmniPod device, I think that not having to deal with infusion set tubing is also a big plus. So as you can see each one has it's advantage's and drawbacks. Once you find a local Endocrinologist that is an advocate of pump therapy then you should be in a better position to make an informed choice. If you need a push to get you started, plug in your information at any of the pump websites and request more information. They'll then get you off to the races, and do the legwork in dealing with your health insurance provider.

Along with my new pump I got a pump trainer AND a dietician that I like for a change.

Best wishes and good luck Breann !

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS