Feet ulcer healing

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 4
dbbuddy Posted: Wed, Aug 18 2010 11:06 AM

Hello everybody. I'm really concerned about my grandmother's feet wound. She got a crack on her heel which turned into a sore.

I found this new method called Diabetic-md.com based on oxygen treatment. We're having an appointment with our doc next Friday I'll ask him but before I ask maybe I can get any positive or negative feedback from those who've already tried it?

Thank You

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 5
Margaret replied on Sat, Nov 13 2010 4:02 AM

Here's the article about it. There's at least one positive feedback from me:@) So go ahead and ask you doc because the technology is really really helpful!

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 7
Kefren replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 10:20 AM

Hi

Oxygen therapy is OK but you need a few things before that:

1- work out why she got the wound in the first place. If she sleeps on her heels, they are hitting a chair in the day...or something. Something caused it, find out what that is- that is a must.

2- if there is callus or a scab there that must be removed professionally because the sides of the wound will not come together to heal up.

3- if the wound is too dry then it won't heal, if it is too wet, it wont heal.

4- if it is discharging then it might be infected and that needs to be cleared up first.

If she is walking around with normal shoes and slippers then it won't heal because pressure is going to bash that area. Dressings that they put on will not deflect the pressure away, they are not designed for that- they will squash into the wound with the added pressure from shoes. They need to get the pressure away from that area- that is a priority. Because when she walks those heels will hit the floor and make the split open and close at each strike.

Oh...CHECK THE OTHER HEEL. They might not, but if it happened to one it might happen to the other. Never look at the bad heel only.

Get your FREE Diabetes Foot Prevention Report here: Diabetic Footcare

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:35 PM

how does one sleep on their heels?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 7
Kefren replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 8:06 AM

Big Smile

When they are lying down in bed some people sleep on their backs, which then causes their heels to dig into the bed. If they do this routinely then a pressure sore can develop or prevent an ulcer from healing. It is predominantly seen within nursing homes.

Some people sleep on their sides which then causes the ankle bone to press into the bed...same occurs there.

Get your FREE Diabetes Foot Prevention Report here: Diabetic Footcare

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 8:58 PM

had not thought of that

TX

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS