Need Opinions on CGMS and Pump Combo

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12
MikeyDee Posted: Mon, Sep 27 2010 9:09 PM

Hi, I am trying to figure out this pump usage stuff. I was primarily interested in a CGMS unit for analyzing my metabolism reactions. But I tripped over a link to Medtronics GUARDIAN system. Am I correct in that this unit is a combination CGMS an pump all in one unit?

If I am wrong in understanding the VERY brief product information brochure, can anyone comment on whether such a device is marketed by any company and should there be multiple devices on the market can you kindly either email me or comment on the forum which one in your experience you like best?

Most likely I will have to pick up the cost of getting one myself and I would hate to select a unit and then find out later that a better one existed to begin with.

Best Regards

MikeyDee

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12

You don't say? No kidding?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 10:20 PM

It's not unusual for there to be delays in getting a response to such a question.  You are asking for specific information about pumps and cgms which only a limited number of people on this board can respond to.  General questions get faster responses, at least in my experience.  Don't give up, I am sure you will get a response eventually as there are members who use pumps and cgms.  I hope you realize that there are separate discussions about pumps and cgms that can be accessed by clicking the Message Boards tab and going down to the Browse Discussions section where those topics are under the "Adult" section.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12
MikeyDee replied on Fri, Oct 1 2010 11:08 PM

Thank you Bill for your encouraging reply! I got a call from the Medtronics people today and speaking with the tech rep she did a informal interview with me. It turns out that if my primary doctor is onboard with me getting on the pump, it will mean that I will then not have to take the long lasting insulin for my sleeping 'lows' control. Thats really good news from my stand point. Not to mention having to chase my levels around meal times.

She also is going to 'jump thru the hoops' for me so I can get closer to getting one of these devices. I will reply back if/when this happens on this topic thread, in the mean time I'll be reading some of the things you folks are facing and how you go about dealing with it. Thanks so much from the new guy.

Best Regards,
Mike

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 12:01 AM

Sounds like good news!  Congratulations and please keep posting.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Sat, Oct 2 2010 9:33 AM

MikeyDee,

I use a medtronic 522 pump which I like very much, but I have not gotten the CGMS, which is a separate piece of equipment and requires a separate insertion.  I read the posts at a group called insulinpumpers.org, about how people like the CGMS, and it seems like there are still alot of kinks to work out of it.  However, it would do the job of letting you know what your blood sugars are all night long, at the cost of having your sleep disturbed by an alarm that you may or may not need.  Using the pump will mean that you discontinue lantus or levimir and just use fast-acting insulin in the pumpo, such as Humolog or Novolog (my choice).  I found this to be a great change, since Lantus did not work for me, do matter what dose of it I took.

Another company people like is Animas for the pump paired with a Dexcom CGMS.  If you want to compare two companies before making such a major purchase, an Animas rep will probably be happy to talk to you also.

Julia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 35
JoyceL replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 8:45 AM

The guardian is not an insuln pump- it a continous gloucose monitor..  which has three parts, a sensor which is inserted into your skin with an inserted. (this wire)  the transmitter which is attached to the sensor (size of a quater) and the reciever which is the size of a cell phone where you can view your glucose.

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12

Thank You for the information, I'd read the brochure from cover to cover and still did not catch that. Mainly because it physically resembles the Paradigm so close I associated that it did both.

If I have to have two cannula's inserted I'd just as soon have the DexCom 7+ for the CGMS. I was hoping like he*l to find both instruments combined into a single stick.

I've only been on both Novolog and Lantus for about six weeks and already my sites look like Mike Tyson gave me a good working over. Although I've been on Lantus for a little better than a year. But now that I'm taking both I hardly have few options of switching sites and avoiding the callus's.

I have just gotten my referral to a Endo for next month, maybe she can help choose the right solution (if there is such a thing)???

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Joyce, I'll have to think some and dig deeper on the internet to see what's out there.

Best Regards,
Mikey D.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12

Hey, I just took a look at Julia's medtronic 522 and I see I was mistaken. It seems as though I was needing to be looking at the medtronic Paradigm "Revel" but again that one is still a two stick unit. Thanks Julia for the insulinpumpers dot org link. Tonight when I have time to concentrate, I'll poke around a bit on that site.

You folks are awesome !

Mike

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Oct 8 2010 10:11 AM

Mike,

I got my 522 in 2007, after having the first paradigm model 511 for 5 years.  The 522 is so much better than the 511, but it has been replaced now with an even newer model.  By the time I am ready for my next pump, there will probably be an even newer model.

Julia

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 33
GreenGiant replied on Wed, Oct 27 2010 11:28 AM

Hi.  I have been using a pump for about 8 years now, due largely to the encouragement from some of the people on the old Joslin Boards.  The first pump I had was a 508.  It's pretty archaic compared to today's pumps.  I am currently using a 522 with the CGM system.  I have been very happy with pumping as compared to the old days of multiple daily injections.  The CGM is a great leap forward.  With Mini Med you can get just the CGM with it's own receiver and display, or you can pair it with your pump.  This allows you to look at 3 hour and 24 hour glucose graphs right on the pump display.  You can also look at pump and sensor status, such as when the next finger stick calibration is due, how long the sensor has been inserted, and the signal strength being received from the transmitter plugged into the sensor.  I think the system works very well.  Unfortunately you are right, you need to "sticks", one to insert the cannula of the infusion set, and one to insert the sensor for the CGM.  However, I don't find this to be a big deal.  You only do it every 3 or 4 days.  It's also easy because I use the optional spring loaded inserter for the infusion sets, and the CGM system comes with a spring loaded inserter for the sensors.  Anyway, I hope that helps.  I think you'd be very happy with a pump.  I know of very few people who started on a pump and then decided to go back to injections.

Fred

Type 1

Minimed Paradigm 522 and CGM

"Any idiot can face a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears you down."

Anton Checkov

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12
MikeyDee replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 8:57 AM

Hi Fred, thank you for sharing your insights with me. I haven't been able to respond until now due to a couple of things going on right now, fortunately both are positive! How odd is that ? Ha

Earlier this week medtronics distributor called to let me know I was approved for the pump and I received it last Wednesday. So far I've been able to set the time/date, pair it with the meter that came with it. Setup my online accounts and then installed the CareLink driver. Whew, not a lot but when your wandering around in the forrest it is.

I'm supposed to meet up with my local area training rep sometime within this coming week so I've been using all my free time to read the manual and get a basic grasp of what to do while the pump is programmed for test/training mode.

So far, one thing that I found disturbing was that the new BG meter read 70 points higher than my recently purchased and fairly high tech USB meter. Which means for me a considerable jump in dosage of Novolog (at least in my thinking it is.)

I am very pleased with how this all worked out and will be even more appreciative when I get to the point of having the 'common sense' you guys have already learned with your devices and carb counting so that it will become less of a magic art to this theraphy.

I see a lot of belts to carry the pump but none really strikes my fancy. Does anyone know if someone makes a underarm holster ( like the detectives wore in the old crime movies ? ) Something to protect it and not necessisarily hide the pump. I'm clumsy by nature and a bad catcher by habit. :o)

Thanks for your input !

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 9:16 AM

Mike,

I use the small clip that came in the box with my 522 pump.  It is durable and I have only had to replace one in my 8 years of pumping.  It costs $10 at the Minimed store if you did not get one in your box.  I usually clip it to my waist of my skirt or slacks or to my underwear if I am wearing a dress or nightgown.  I have found the pump to be very durable too.  I clip it onto my waist band with the screen pointing out and it has never broken when I fall or crash into things (I am not very graceful).  A couple of weeks ago, I fell while hiking in another country and broke the small pump-sized digital camera I was carrying on my wrist.  My hiking companion nervously asked me if my pump had been damaged too.  But no, it just keeps on ticking.

Julia

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 5
rellajeff replied on Fri, Oct 29 2010 4:47 PM

I am using the DexCom CGMS and I think it works reasonably well considering that the product technology is not really very accurate.  20% deviations are supposed to be about right but I find some very large ones.  So never bolus unless you check with a glucose meter.  But it does flag trends and I find it quite useful.  I am using an Animas pump that I really do not like (I used a MiniMed pump in the past and liked it).  The MM CGMS is good for 3 days (I haven't tried it) and is more expensive than the DexCom.  The Dex is good for 7 days.

Hope this isn't too late ... I just joined the forum.

Regards,

Jeff

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12
MikeyDee replied on Mon, Nov 15 2010 8:52 PM

Hi Everybody,

Sorry I haven't checked back in sooner. Well I got the pump I needed, did the training online and then again in person (one-on-one). I don't know why, it's not like I failed the first time around. Ha Ha Ha.

Anyway, you people were right on the money, I don't know why I didn't get on it sooner or why anyone would ever go back?? My trainer was probably one of the best out there, I didn't ask but I think she worked part-time for Medtronics cause I'm sure she works full-time for NASA! Ha Ha Ha.

Seriously enough, her son is on the pump and she knows her 'bid-ness'. Funny thing is I started out wanting the CGMS to figure out what in the world was going on with me. As it turns out I'm on the pump first and the CGMS should be here anytime now. I swear I call so much I know certain employee's kids by first name basis. Ha Ha Ha.

So a big ole Thank You to all who shared their opinions and experiences with me, I'm glad you did. I'm also glad I took your advice and got on this therapy. I've been pumping 'live' for just a week now and she's already looked over my graphs and starting tweaking my basel times. She got my bolus settings pretty tight right from the get go. I was impressed with the results.

Being the clown I am I was going to ask her; since I like to bolus and she likes to bolus maybe we should get together and bolus together! And then it occurred to me that if my Mrs. found out that I might get smacked in the noggin with her bolus ball !!! So maybe not.

Warm Regards,
MikeyDee

Page 1 of 3 (40 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS