Need Opinions on CGMS and Pump Combo

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 8:11 PM

Your Welcome Richard...

On the research center tour I will be right there behind you & Anita saying 'huh?' 'Huh?'

what that mean Richard??? ha ha ha

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28
Richard157 replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 10:21 PM

Annette, you are a funny girl! I am now going to to go to bed laughing. Anita might think I am having a hypo. Confused

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 17
Joan replied on Sat, Nov 20 2010 1:28 AM

Hi  Jennette - Thought it best to respond a bit to you here on the message board so I will not appear uncaring!

I really appreciate your answering some of my questions privately about the pump and how to address the issues of adjustment.  As you know I see my doctor this coming Monday - sort of anxious to know what the results will be!

Don't think I will ever adjust to wearing pj's to bed  but perhaps a bit longer tubing?!  However, when traveling I sometimes use one of my husband's T-Shrits b/c I forgot to pack everything I needed! Wink

Enjoyed the emails you sent to me on Friday  - I am still laughing.  LOL Big Smile

Anyway, it is nice to know I can ask you what to do when I am unsure - IF I am approved to receive a pump!

Signing off and will respond to your most recent email to me = tomorrow (Sat).

Joan Smile

Type 1, Dx Nov 1957

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Mon, Nov 22 2010 4:41 PM
Richard..Joan...
It is appropriate to quote Shakespeare's Henry V's speech at Agincourt in relation to our
good fortune with this disease i.e. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers" 

(of course at that time women were not part of the military; today we would say brothers and sisters.)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12
MikeyDee replied on Thu, Feb 10 2011 10:56 PM

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would come back and fill in some blanks since I've been away for awhile. In September of 2010 I got a new Paradigm 723 pump which was brought on by some other diabetic related causes and at that time my hb1ac reading was 10.0 or 10.1 then.

Since then I finished all my physical therapy, occupational therapy, and vestibular theraphy I needed to recover from the Stroke I had in September. I did really well on the out-come of those sessions (and there were a lot too brother!).

So by then, the doc's felt it time I was ready to take on the issues of my 'ticker' since I used to be a smoker too.

I had three stents put in; two in the first week of February and everything went smooth as silk for those. Then last Friday I went back in to have a third and thankfully last one put in. The procedure went well just like the installation of the first two. I was up and walking the halls having a good ole time. That night when I went to bed sometime during my sleep, my heart 'crashed' as I was told.

I woke up that Saturday morning in the Cardiac Care Unit and stayed there until this Tuesday. On Monday before, they did another check to see if something went wrong during the last stent placement and found that there wasn't any problem at all. My 'ticker' just plain ole flipped out on me. Then straight away they wheeled me into another O/R and another heart doctor put in a ICD device to shock my heart into going slowly if it flipped out on me again. And again this surgery went very well. I now have a new pump and a ICD device to help me out. After almost six months I am finally looking at getting back to work in six more weeks of light duty!

Ain't that Great ??? I thought I was a gonner just from the Stroke itself. Now it looks like I can go dancing or play the piano whenever I'm ready! (I couldn't do either before) Old gratuitious medical joke thrown in.

I saved the good news for last so you can appreciate the power of that nifty little pump. From September at 10.0 until Tuesday of this week I went down to a 7.9 hb1ac. Maybe not ideal, but definately better than I would have been able to do on my own with the pens. Now all I gotta do is plan a better diet including more green veggie's (and you all know how much Watashi hates green veggie's) and I should be much better and not back where I was by a long shot.

So that's some good news for ya'll here on this board, can't do much about world events so I thought I'd send some good 'local' news you guy's / gal's way here. I want to THANK all you folks who talked to me and lessened my doctor / medical fears and wish all you folks some good personnal news of your OWN this week. I'll never forget you and will do my best to check in with you from time to time.

I'm very fortunate to have found all you folks on the Internet and hope that your too... Kicking Butt and Taking Names !!!

Warm Regards,
Mikey Dee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 12:35 PM

Dee!! Well done on making it through these bad 'episodes'  we all understand how they can be... but 'tis them that make us tough!! Do what you can to shoot like an arrow will lifestyle... well you quit smoking which is so hard to do..

so if you can manage not puffing them bullets you CAN learn to get addicted to green veggies!!

Our freezer has some meats in it but 3/4 of it is full of veggies!  Love using them to enhance meals.. stir fry green peppers & onions to garnish chicken ... or add some petit peas and some Rinaldi Veg pasta sauce. It all satysfies my husband!!

Monday night at 10pm I had a bad episode.. John found me unconcious on the living room floor.. was difficult for him to get the glucogel in my mouth.. so called 911. The 3 young men who worked on me in the house and on way in ambulance  to the hospital... are my heroes.. I dont remember much but..here I am!! In the ER the drs/nurses etc were so caring and kind... and fascinated when John told them I have had Juv/Diab 53 years..am a medalist and ... about the 50 yr study Richard and others are in at Harvard/Joslin!  They had never heard of it.. so we medalists are teaching medicos some things.. it shocked them that a small amount of us have no complications... I call it a 'kink' we have in our DNA :)   and we love that.

Hoping things are going well with and for you Richard [and Anita lol] you and I married 2 heroes :)

Take care all...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 21
BarbaraD replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 8:58 AM

Wow Mikey Dee that is impressive!  Congratulations and best wishes!!!

About the green veggies - have you tried adding a handful of baby spinach to a smoothie in your blender?  I myself like veggies, but I have read that others mask the taste with fruits and lowfat dairy by putting them in a blender and drinking them.  Another benefit - no cooking!

Dx 2/01, pumping with Cozmo, Celiac, dx 8/05

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Sat, Feb 12 2011 3:54 PM

I get most of my veggies by way of Greens First or the Green Drink (Trader Joe's).  One scoop of the powder gives me all the nutrients of veggies and fruit I need for the day.  Great for making shakes or smoothies since it is already in powder form.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 12

Thought I would get on the computer today and wish you all a happy Mother's Day and I hope that you all are doing well. I'm just catching up with this thread and I'm sorry to read of your crash Annette, hopefully your back to your normal routine by now.

How did you you all like the conference you attended? Maybe you each left with some insight that you hadn't realized before going or just plain enjoyed a trip and a break from the status quo.

Since last time I checked in with you, I have been medically benched (retired) at 56 years and gotten over the BUMP that goes along with that. I am now a professional Mall Walker now! :o) I am maintaining a consistent mile every weekday. I know, I know but it's a significant improvement for me anyway.

The other day while at the mall I stopped by the ATM/cash machine but left my reading glasses at home. I asked a young man to help me check my balance, and he pushed me over !

Thanks for the tips on the greens, I've had to suffer to get them down up till now but I'm working on it. Take Care each and every one of your.

Warm Regards,

Michael D.

PS. I'm doing just fine now.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

MikeyDee, I am pleased to hear you are doing well now, and that you like your pump. Are you using the Minimed Revel, or did you choose a different brand? Are you using the CGM too? I hope you will continue to do well in the years ahead, and that your heart will be good to you!

Richard

Page 3 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS