answering why

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
dassano davis posted on Sun, Oct 3 2010 7:27 AM

I am a student of Medical Massage in Toms River, New Jersey.  I am writing a paper on Diabetes type 1.  My husband has been a diabetic since he was 4and is now 62. My question is: If you are diligent with your diet and fastidious with your insulin, how does one get heart disease, have a triple bypass, blind in one eye,has a minor stroke, and have the beginning of neuropathy.  I have learned all the facts but I am not understanding why this outcome or is this the progression of the diseas no matter what?  

I have a deadline on my paper of October 11, 2010

Thanks,

Dassano

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Julia replied on Sun, Oct 3 2010 8:10 AM

It is not accurate to say that these complications occur no matter what.  They occur for some and not for others and I believe the answer lies more with genetics than in how fastidious we are.  I have had several of my doctors echo the same analysis to me. 

Top 25 Contributor
107 Posts
nance replied on Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:55 PM

Like Julia said, those complications don't always happen.  But even being "diligent with your diet and fastidious with your insulin" doesn't mean that someone with diabetes is able to achieve as normal blood sugars every second of the day and night around the clock for years on end as someone with a perfectly functoning pancreas, and perhaps dealing with insulin resistance, too.  Which makes me wonder why the pancreas is often overlooked and underrated.  It is a truly miraculous organ, and I hope you detail all of its wonders in your paper, Dassano.  Good luck with your paper, and good luck to your husband, too.  So, are you saying that he actually has these complications already?

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Mon, Oct 4 2010 9:15 AM

My om once asked the doctor if a person could survive without a pancreas. His reply "Yes, but you'd probably rather do without you right arm."

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Julia replied on Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:20 PM

Jen,

I just saw this story from today's NYT that illustrates your doctors' point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/health/05insulin.html

Very interesting story about insulin.

I thank God every day for it.

jen1229:

My om once asked the doctor if a person could survive without a pancreas. His reply "Yes, but you'd probably rather do without you right arm."

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:19 PM

Thank you for posting that link.  I enjoyed reading the story.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS