Alternatives to Januvia

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
1 Posts
marci posted on Mon, Oct 25 2010 1:42 PM

My husband is a 1 1/2 and takes oral meds. He takes Glyberide in the AM with a metforman and Januvia and metformin at dinner. The dr took him of the Januvia because his liver enzymes were high and told him to call him when his blood sugar reaches 180. He more or less suggested that insulin is next. Not that there is anything wrong with injectables but I am not sure that his internist is the be all end all on this. I want to know if anybody else has had luck with pills and what pills.   He has tried actos and reacted badly to it. Any info or insights would help.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
107 Posts
nance replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 9:15 PM

Most meds can't "do it all" and need the help of both diet and exercise to be the most effective.  Has your husband started a daily exercise routine, and has his doctor referred him to a Registered Dietician (R)?

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
135 Posts
RobertIA replied on Mon, Oct 25 2010 9:32 PM

I have a question - is the 1 1/2 - LADA?   If this is so, then eventually your husband will need insulin.  Exercise is what Nance said and this is good as it will prolong the period quite likely that he can stay off insulin, but I disagree with the 180 the doctor told him as the damage of complications can get a good foothold by the time he gets to 180.  He should be on medications if he is above 126 regularly at fasting.

Type 2 (10/2003)   Lantus and Novalog   Now added Metformin      Retired

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS