midnight snacking

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Kaye White posted on Tue, Jan 11 2011 11:43 PM

I need help. I hope that I've picked the right forum and if I haven't please let me know. I'm new here and I have type 2. My problem is I get hungry in the middle of the night. I mean really hungry. Not, oh, I'm a little peckish and I think I'll eat something. I mean stomach twisting and growling, can't eat because I'm hungry got a headache need to eat NOW hungry.

I eat a good meal for dinner, at least I try and I don't go to bed hungry, but I always wake up at two or three in the morning needing to snack. If it was just a piece of cheese or turkey and going back to sleep, I might be able to handle it. But, it's not. I tried that, but then I just wake up a little bit later, hungier. I can't go back to sleep with hunger pains. I've tried that and it doesn't work.

Drinking anything is also out. What's the use of having a sip of water or something, only to end up getting up every half hour or so to use the bathroom?

And please, don't suggest exercise. I've just recently had knee surgery and at best, I'm hobbling around. Is there something that I can eat at night that will fill me up until morning? Some trick that will make the munchies go away? 

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
135 Posts
RobertIA replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 11:52 PM

This sounds like something in addition the hungries.  Have you talked to your doctor about this.  There may be something underlying this that is causing the problem of this type of hunger. 

There may be other suggestions by others.

Type 2 (10/2003)   Lantus and Novalog   Now added Metformin      Retired

Top 10 Contributor
Female
140 Posts
shortie replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 3:33 PM

Check your blood glucuse during this hunger?  

Top 500 Contributor
Male
2 Posts
oneswolf replied on Wed, Jan 12 2011 4:04 PM

If you are waking up regular as clockwork due to the hunger, you might set an alarm for just prior to this specific time and then check your BG (in addition to during as shortie wrote).

Top 10 Contributor
Male
306 Posts
donw replied on Thu, Jan 13 2011 4:21 PM

How is your protein intake at supper time?  Sounds like it's a little low.  Adding a before bedtime snack (with some protein) may help hold the hunger in check until breakfast.  Maybe a piece of toasted whole grain bread with some peanut butter on it or some cheese and whole wheat crackers would do the trick.  As diabetes goes it not a "one size fits all" disease, we each have had to experiment a little to see what works best for us.

Don

"O Diem Praeclarum!"Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Julia replied on Thu, Jan 13 2011 5:36 PM
Do you take insulin or metformin? If you take insulin, you can also take Symlin to decrease hunger. I think you need to be using metformin to take Byetta, which is the other drug for diabetics that inhibits hunger. I am a Type 1 on insulin and my hunger has decreased since I started using Symlin in 2005. Julia
Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Fri, Jan 14 2011 8:06 AM

We take so many drugs in this country.  There is a drug for everything.  I don't believe in using drugs unless they are needed.  I don't think one should add another drug before trying the other options and seeing if they work.  After all, if you can have a bedtime snack and solve the problem, why add the cost, to say nothing of an additional shot of yet another drug.  I hate it when doctors recommend drugs and or surgery without giving the option of trying other methods first. Sorry Julia, this is not aimed at you in particular, but at medicine in general. 

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Julia replied on Fri, Jan 14 2011 10:28 AM

That's OK, Jen, I would have responded the same way you did with the information I gave and I agree with you that drugs are overused.

I actually was being lazy by not providing the complete information about these 2 drugs.  The decrease in hunger is actually a side-effect.  The main purpose is to lower post-prandial glucose, and thus lower A1C readings and (perhaps) complications of diabetes.

I must say, however, that the decrease in hunger has improved my quality of life more than I can say, and I would not have been able to do that without Symlin.  Symlin is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which non-diabetics produce and which helps control the timing of the digestion of food, and the release of glucose from the liver.  Just as Type 1's do not produce insulin, we do not produce amylin.  So the two drugs work together to control food metabolism and blood sugars. 

I know this is a Type 2 board, and Type 2's usually take Byetta rather than Symlin. The mechanism of Byetta is different, but it has the effect of decreasing hunger as well, and thus weight loss is much easier.

Hunger made ny life miserable before I started Symlin in 2005.  Now I am living more normally.  It's an expensive drug, but I hope I never have to stop taking it and go back to the constant hunger.

Julia

Top 25 Contributor
Male
111 Posts
Jorgie replied on Fri, Jan 14 2011 11:53 AM

Do you check your BG before bedtime? I always do, and then have a snack to carry me through the night. Sometimes it's a small bowl of Shredded  Wheat.

Type II for almost 20 years Humalog and Lantus.

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts

Dear Kaye White,

Feeling so hungry you can't get back to sleep is a diffiucult problem.   You didn't mention it but is your blood sugar low at these times?   And, have you discussed this issue with your health care provider?  It may also be helpful to sit down with a dietitian to discuss your overall meal plan and make sure the rest of your meals and snacks are adequate.   To avoid eating high calorie foods, you might try keeping cut up vegetables with low fat dressing as well as diet jellos and popicles available.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS