Lantus - low blood sugars at 3.00 a.m

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
2 Posts
NatalieG posted on Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:41 PM

Having been a brittle Type 1 Diabetic for 58 years, I am now on Lantus and NovoRapid.  I take my Lantus normally before breakfast, together with my Novorapid.  I take my Lantus only if I have a high blood sugar, as find that since being on cardiac medication, I cannot tolerate a blood sugar lower than 16 mmol/l . Below 16  I suffer hypoglycaemic symptoms and other very unpleasant smptoms, the main being unbearable pains in my shins.  On eating carbs, these symptoms disappear.  I do blood tests regularly.  At 3.00 am I wake with my legs aching, restlesslessness and have to get up and eat.  I am hearing that Latus is  sometimes prescribed to be taken pm and was thinking I may be better taking it then.  These disturbed nights get me down.  I can go to bed on a 23 mmol/l and can wake up at 9 or 10.  My sugar just drops when I am asleep.  As you can imagine if it can drop 14 mmol/l overnight, imagine if I tried to keep to the recommended level of 4-7.  This all sounds bizarre to other diabetics, but I am otherwise okay, but do juggle between diabetes, asthma, hypothyroidism, larynthitis and numerous other complaints, but I am still licensedto drive (tested 3 yearly) have all my limbs and renal function is excellent as too is my healing.  What do other people think.  Would I be better having my Lantus pm and then it would gradually build up to a crecendo through the day and not be so severe  through the night.  If my sugar went low through the day I could deal much better with it.   Cos everytime I eat any carbs and I keep on a low carb diet and eat very little,  my sugar just  ridiculously.  Whereas just before I go to bed, I have at the moment to eat just to keep my bloodsugar at a safe level to go to sleep. I would love  other user's advice, as I find professionals quite useless on discussing these matters.  I hope to hear from anybody who suffers these problems.  Maybe it is because of the statins, hypertensives, Aspirins and Singular I take.  Nobody seems to be able to answer me.  I am also very atopic.  

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Answered (Verified) Julia replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:41 PM
Verified by NatalieG

Natalie, I am also a Type 1 who is sensitive to insulin.  I never could get the Lantus to work for me.  I took between 10 and 11 units before bed and it was always either too much or not enough.  I started pumping 9 years ago, which takes Lantus out of the equation.  It also allows you to set your basal rate of insulin at low levels at night.  You can change the basal rate every half hour if you need to.  My basal insulin is 10.8 daily, similar to what I took on Lantus, but with the rate varied over the 24 hours according to when I need it.  I do not think taking the Lantus at night would be better than taking it in the morning.  I think it would be peaking while you are asleep, just what you don't need.  For Type 1s sensitive to insulin, the Lantus does have peaks.  It was originally meant to be a a Type 2 medication

Julia

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Answered (Verified) Julia replied on Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:41 PM
Verified by NatalieG

Natalie, I am also a Type 1 who is sensitive to insulin.  I never could get the Lantus to work for me.  I took between 10 and 11 units before bed and it was always either too much or not enough.  I started pumping 9 years ago, which takes Lantus out of the equation.  It also allows you to set your basal rate of insulin at low levels at night.  You can change the basal rate every half hour if you need to.  My basal insulin is 10.8 daily, similar to what I took on Lantus, but with the rate varied over the 24 hours according to when I need it.  I do not think taking the Lantus at night would be better than taking it in the morning.  I think it would be peaking while you are asleep, just what you don't need.  For Type 1s sensitive to insulin, the Lantus does have peaks.  It was originally meant to be a a Type 2 medication

Julia

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS