new to board

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
veedub Posted: Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:23 AM

hi.... im new to this board......dx 4 24 years....type1...and on pump 4 15 years......had right hand surgery yesterday...so typing will b slow......guess i do have a problem......im gaining too much....can always use help...... any how   hi...nice to meet u all....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Thu, Jan 27 2011 9:28 AM

Welcome to the Board.  Hope your hand heals quickly.  You will find a wealth of knowledge and support here.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
veedub replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 10:50 PM

hi jen 1229....

A1C 5.8   .....  i am completely intimadated....... my last was 10.1........  i think my pump is part to blame... i think i relie toooo much on it... plus im gaining wt much too fast and much too much.....please dont tell me how perfect ur life is... i'll delete this site faster than u will blink ur pretty little eyelashes.. in other wrds skip the bullshit....  i know i am 2 blame for my own mistakes...   if i could just find some good advice...   sorry 4 the bluntness... vincie

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 4:00 AM

Sorry you're feeling bad, Vincie, but I don't think Jen deserved what you said to her.  Many of us put our A1cs and other things, too, in our "signatures", which automatically display underneath our every post.  It just gives others an idea of what is going on with us, and where we're coming from.  No reason to take it personally and go on the attack.  Also, I doubt if you will find anyone here trying to tell anybody how perfect his or her life is.  People have different things to share, and I thought Jen's reply to you was very supportive.

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Welcome to the board! I´m also new here and have been suffering from Diabetes for 2 years (Type 2).Not fun, but what can you do.Just important to try to live as healthy as possible and exercise regularly.Some day doctors will find a cure for this.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Sun, Jan 30 2011 5:44 PM

Your pump is not your problem, it is just a tool.  You are are the problem (as you noted).  Do you have a good endocrinologist?  Do you have access to a certified diabetic educator/dietitian?  With the possible exception of NoMoreCarbs, nobody on this board would consider their diabetic lives as perfect.  There has to be a reason you are gaining weight and a reason your A1c is so high.  What are your fasting bg readings?  What are your readings 2 hrs. after eating?    We need more information if we are going to help you with your problems, and we can help.  All of us have been where you are and we have, or are working to, reach our diabetic goals.  There is lots of experience here if you choose to use it.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Mon, Jan 31 2011 7:22 AM

Vincie:

The 5.8 A1C did not just happen.  It takes a lot of hard work.  At one time it was 5.3.  I was working at a hospital in Boston, when I started having difficulty at work and started putting on a lot of weight.  It was hard for me to walk even to my office.  I fell several times, the last time in the hospital and I could not get up.  After a few weeks more, my PCP suggested that I go on disability.  I also have severe spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis.  I quit work and started to take my life back. I was close to 400 pounds at that time.  I joined Weight Watchers and to date I have lost 100 pounds.  What I said was not BS.  My A1C is 5.8 because I swim three days a week for three hours.  I swim laps for two hours followed by a 50 minute water fitness (aerobics) class. This is the only exercise I can do.  I let my BS run higher on those days so that I don't go low in the pool (even then it doesn't always work). So, yes, I do know where you are coming from because I was there.  I hope you also take charge of your life and move on, but low A1Cs don't just happen, they take lots of work.  There are lot worse diseases that you could have. At least this one is controllable.  Both my grandfather and my mom had diabetes and I have seen many changes through the years.  When my grandfather had diabetes my mom had to sterilize needles and syringes, which made travel extremely difficult.  When my mom had it there were no glucometers only urine testing.  You are lucky to have a pump and the ease of not having to do injections.  We've come a long way in treatment of the disease.  So buck up and get to work. You are the only one who can make it happen.  It do or die, literally.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS