Non-diabetic child born to parents with Type 1 diabetes

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 6
JClement Posted: Thu, Feb 10 2011 11:30 AM

My parents both were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when they were 19 years old.  I was born when my mother was 24 years old (carried full term) even though I was to have numerous complications. Today I am 27 years old, healthy, and I do not have diabetes .  My husband and I are ready to start a family however I want to know what are the chances if I get gestational diabetes and it turns into insulin dependent diabetes or the chances that my children will be born with diabetes.  Thank you for any help you can offer Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

Here is a link which explores the genetic transmission of type 1 diabetes to children:

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/information/genes_diagnosis_transmission_1.html#gttype1

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 6
JClement replied on Thu, Feb 10 2011 7:29 PM

Thank you very much for the link.  I feel it was useful to see transmission of the diabetes from parents to child and if i get gestational diabetes that my child maybe overweight or develope type 2 down the line.  There is the rumor you hear that diabetes skips a generation.  Do you have any insight to this?  Also, my mother does have Type 1 with under active Thyroid and I have an under active Thyroid will this increase my chances of my offspring?  Are you aware of any genetic testing that i can get to see my chances?  Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:58 AM

If your parents had Type 1, why are you worried about getting Type 2?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 7:59 AM

Gestational diabetes is related to Type 2, not Type 1 diabetes.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 6
JClement replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:14 AM

Yes, I understand that.  However the transmition of the gene from both my parents being Type I diabetics gives me a big risk of getting Gestational diabetes and it turning into Type 2.  I am worried about what happens to my child you always hear that rumor "it skips a generation" well I want the diabetes to end with my parents or at least me.  I can take care of myself if I turn into a Type 2, its just my children I am nervous for.  I know how hard it is for Juv. Diabetics as both my parents lived with it as young adults and my mother still struggles with her sugars after giving birth to me.  Just want to know what my odds of my child getting diabetes are.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:29 AM

I just scanned the material at the link Richard sent you.  Although it does say that a risk factor for gestational diabetes is a parent with diabetes, I am wondering if they really mean to say a family history of Type 2 diabetes, since the Types are really 2 different diseases.  Also, the risk to your children of getting Type 1 would be 2 grandparents having it, and I don't see grandparents being addressed in the material.

I am Type 1, and as far as I know, no one else in my family has had it.  When I looked at the risks for my son getting it, the risk was not substantial.  I was more concerned when pregnant because a sibling of mine had a child with Down Syndrome, and I spoke to a genetic counselor, who assured me that my risk was not increased because of my sister.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 6
JClement replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:44 AM

Thank you so much for your response.  Yes, there is the gray area I want to know about. 

Yes, we cannot find any trace of diabetes in my mom's family, however my father's side, his 1st cousins, one had Type 1, no children, and the other had gestational then it turned into Type 2 and then when her son was 16  he was diagnosised with Type 1. I mean i beat the odds with my parents, my chance was 1 in 7 because of both my parents and then my mother also has Thyroid disease.  I only got the Tyroid disease from my mom, thank goodness.  Thank you for sharing your family story with me, it does help to say just take the chance and what is met to be will be.  I guess i can always find a genetic doctor in the area and see what he has to say.  Its just so difficult finding doctors who understand diabetes and don't always go by the book because trust me my mom and her diabetes is not in the books, she is a pain in the butt everything sets off her sugars.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:06 AM

I was in a large HMO when I was pregnant and they had a genetic doctor on staff and were glad to let me see her as part of my plan.  That made it easy for me.  Also, her advice was the same conclusion you are reaching on your own.  Unless the risks are substantial, it makes sense to go for it.

As far as a book on Type 1?  I don't think there is any such thing.  I am lucky to have a doctor who understands that, as I struggle day to day to adjust my insulin to try to keep the best control I can.  He smiles and says, each day is different, right?  It is very true.  You just have to keep on top of it the best you can.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 6
JClement replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:20 AM

Thanks!!.. by "the book" i mean training.. sorry its just something I say when i talk to nurses and some physicians (usually in the local ER) who just say "that doesn't effect diabetes or you cannot do that when your mother has low blood sugar." 

I just want to say, well she is practically non-responsive and this is the best that i can do.  Like for instance taking a straw and slowly drop by drop putting it in her mouth until she comes to where she can drink it on her own or down some sugar  (hahaha).  They said i have to get the gluclose tablets and put that in her mouth. I want to say she does not respond and will not chew it then what do i do call an ambulance every other day.  That is not happening.  This is the way i have taken care of her and my father for 27 years it works.. hahaha

You have a great out look on life you really gave me peace of mind. Thanks for your insight!!! Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 9:32 AM

Thanks!

You sound like a wonderful daughter.  You could probably write that "book" yourself.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 6
JClement replied on Fri, Feb 11 2011 10:04 AM

Thanks  Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jonshon replied on Wed, Sep 14 2011 4:31 AM

Don't worry. keep faith on God. God will take you. enjoy each moment of your life and remove the word diabetes from your mind. Always eat healthy food and spend 2hrs on exercise every day.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS