Next Meeting of 50-Year Medalists

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 10:17 PM

I had a very pleasant surprise this evening. I live in a large retirement community, in which dinner is served every evening in the community dining room. Every Wednesday we have a pianist who plays old tunes from the '30s through the '60s, all through the dinner. He just sits down at the upright piano and plays all the songs he recalls. No program, it's just what's in his head. This evening, he included "White Cliffs of Dover" among his selections, and of course it immediately reminded me of my recent discussion, here, with AnnetteUK.

Tom

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

Hi Tom, Annette is a very cool chick! We send each other emails, some very funny ones. Maybe the three of us can get together in 2013 at the Joslin. There was such a big crowd in 2011 that there may have to be a different meeting place this time. Either that, or we may have to eat lunch in shifts. Lol!

Richard

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 12:29 AM

Complaint!! I've been trying to compose a reply to Richard's message of 8/16, and when I go to another screen to get information to put in my message, and then return to my partially composed message, it's gone. My email doesn't work that way. I had what I thought was useful info to pass along, but I'm not going to try and put it here again. I'll just send an email to Richard and Annette.

Tom

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 6:46 PM

Am looking forward to next Spring ....another medalist 'celebration'   Big Smile  Left Hug

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 6:50 PM

And did you sing along with The White Cliffs of Dover music Tom?

If we meet at the 2013 Celebration we can croon it together Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Mon, Oct 15 2012 7:57 PM

I will make a commitment to sing The White Cliffs of Dover with Annette at the medalists meeting in May 2013. I'm not a very good singer, but I do know how to read music, and I can carry a tune. Of course, it would be better if we could form a chorus. Richard, would you like to volunteer? Anybody else?

I have had to discontinue bike riding, at least for a while, because I woke up two weeks ago with trochanteric bursitis. My internal medicine dr rx'd prednisone for 3 days but that didn't help. So he has referred me to an orthopedic dr for a shot of cortisone. But the next available appointment is at least two weeks away. Meanwhile I'm getting ready for my 80th birthday, with my sister and her husband coming to visit me from Los Angeles, and then a month after that it will be 70 years since I got diabetes. And Emily Coles of TuDiabetes is setting up a video interview sometime in that period.

Tom

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

Good afternoon.   Just getting "into" the joslin system, though had my fifty year intro about a year and half ago (when hit 50).

Have NOT been to any meetings - when is next, is this only Joslin patient discussion board, list of members, etc

thank you very much

yerachmiel altman

diagnosed Nov '61 (age two)

insulin pump Jun '81

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Thu, Oct 3 2013 3:40 PM

There has been very little use of "The Joslin Boards" by 50-Year medalists. This is the area that you get to by clicking an appropriate link on the Joslin web page www.joslin.org .

On the other hand, the secret Facebook page "The Joslin Medalists" was started about three months ago, and been quite active. As a Facebook user, the only way you can get to this Facebook page is by having Stephanie Hastings or Sara Turek add your name to the list of those who allowed to get to the page. I just looked at the list and I did not find you, yerachmiel altman, on the list, so you need to contact Stephanie or Sara.

Tom Beatson

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Sun, Aug 10 2014 6:05 PM

WE ARE HEADING TO THE END OF 2014 already!!!

Hope to see some medalists & staff at a 2015 gathering in Boston :) 

=================================================

tomjef:

I had a very pleasant surprise this evening. I live in a large retirement community, in which dinner is served every evening in the community dining room. Every Wednesday we have a pianist who plays old tunes from the '30s through the '60s, all through the dinner. He just sits down at the upright piano and plays all the songs he recalls. No program, it's just what's in his head. This evening, he included "White Cliffs of Dover" among his selections, and of course it immediately reminded me of my recent discussion, here, with AnnetteUK.

Tom

awwwwwwwww Tom.....wish I had been there to sing along with you 'There'll be bluebirds overrrr The White Cliffs of Doverrr..tomorrow just you wait and seeeeee.....'

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 4
Steven replied on Tue, Nov 4 2014 6:10 PM

I'm looking forward to an invitation to the next meeting. Someone mentioned that they are sent with the holiday greetings. Does anyone have a date?

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS