Tapioca pudding

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133
tylersydney Posted: Wed, Jan 28 2009 6:35 PM

Anyone have a sugar free tapioca pudding recipe.........also low fat???

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 8:53 PM

I think I've seen 'em in boxes, either Royal or Jello. 

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 10:18 PM

Minute Brand makes tapioca.  Not pudding, just the plain precooked tapioca with soy lecithin added.   On the back of the box is a recipe for tapioca cream.  I'm sure if you substitute Splenda for the sugar (Splenda makes a product that is specifically a one-to-one substitute for sugar) and use fat free milk you will come up with a good pudding.  One egg is called for, but perhaps even here you could shave a bit of fat and calories by using one of the new egg substitutes that have both whites and yolks (you might need both for the pudding to set up).  Sometimes substitutes make a difference in the chemistry of a food, so you might have to experiment a bit.  Good luck and let me know how it comes out.  Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten how much I like tapioca pudding.  You might have inspired me to make it again myself!

Spirit

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Dee replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 11:35 PM

I haven't made tapioca pudding in years, the kids loved it when they were younger.  The package recipe is the only one I have ever used.  You do use the egg white seperately, beat it firmly and blend it in with the pudding mixture.  It is very good, and could be tweaked with Splenda and skim or lowfat milk.  Yumm.....Wink 

Dee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

I wil do some experiments and get back to you.

Thanks..

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Thu, Jan 29 2009 1:23 PM

There are some pre-made tapioca puddings in the dairy section of the market.  Kozy Shack makes one and I've tasted it  and it is good.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

QUESTION: I put cinnamon on oatmeal/cereal and  in Greek yogurt with berries..etc etc..

I now shop at Penzey's for spices. (If you request their catalogue  ..by mail..you get a FREE coupon for some spice/herb/blend or another every 2 months...also..they now have many SALT free options)

I love the Vietnamese cinnamon....however...there are MANY kinds from many counties..

Is there any ONE that is best for lowering cholesterol/controlling BG and or other dietary needs?  They all come from  different parts of plants/barks.etc..

Chinese..Vietnamese.etc.....etc..etc..

Thanks......

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear tylersydney:

Cinnamomum aromaticum (C. cassia) is the form used for the control of  diabetes to reduce fasting blood levles and decrease cholesterol and and triglycerides..   The amount used in some clinical trials that have produced an effect are 1, 3 and 6 grams.   The  3 grams is equvalent to approx 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Studies using cinnamon have shown equivacal results, although since cinnamon has almost no side effects so there  are really no reasons not to try it (unless one has an allergy). 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

OK..so it looks like the Vietnamese Cin. I like best is a type of Cassia...

and I am on the right track..I LOVE this stuff..below is info from the Penzey's catalog on all types of cinnamon..

Thank you! I usually eat it at breakfast but will now add some at night!

Cinnamon 
There are two main types of cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon is native to Southeast Asia, especially southern China and northern Vietnam, and has the strong, spicy-sweet flavor most Americans are familiar with. Vietnamese and China cinnamon are the sweetest and strongest varieties, with Korintje cinnamon having a smooth flavor with less bite. Our cinnamon sticks and Korintje cinnamon both come from the southwest coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. It grows wild on the governmentprotected slopes of Mount Kerinci, where the cinnamon gets its name. We stock the top Korintje A grade, although there are also the lower B and C grades, which are the types of cinnamon usually sold in supermarkets in the U.S. Our very sweet and strong Vietnamese cinnamon comes from the remote north and west regions of Vietnam. The strength of the flavor of spices depends upon the essential oil content— the higher the level, the stronger the flavor. When orders for cinnamon come in, the large sticks are cracked into slightly smaller pieces and packed into burlap bags for shipment.
The second type of cinnamon, Ceylon, or "true" cinnamon, has a much different flavor. It is less sweet, with a more complex, citrus flavor. The special flavor of English and Mexican sweets comes from Ceylon cinnamon. We like to recommend Ceylon Cinnamon for baking with fruit—especially in apple pie.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Mon, May 31 2010 8:47 PM

tylersydney:

OK..so it looks like the Vietnamese Cin. I like best is a type of Cassia...

and I am on the right track..I LOVE this stuff..below is info from the Penzey's catalog on all types of cinnamon..

I used to mix all 4 of Penzey's cinnamons together for my Tablespoon of cinnamon that I put in my morning cereal mix, but now they've done it for me in their new mix of all 4 of their cinnamons.  It's great, and now a timesaver, as well!  (And a lot less messy!  LOL)  http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspenzeyscinnamon.html

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

Yes..the new stuff is great..I get it plus the Vietnamese..as the V is my favorite...I esp like when they send a FREE  coupon for a spice/herb..I go to the store and find at least 1-2 more that I NEED!

Of course..I am sure their marketing folks KNOW people do this!!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
arfeen55 replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 12:16 PM

Sweet and creamy tapioca pudding mix. Tastes just like what Grandma used to make!

Directions:Stir 1/2 cup mix into 2 cups milk in a small saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook until mixture comes to full boil. (Pudding thickens as it cools). Remove from heat. Cool 15 min., stirring twice. Stir before serving.

MICROWAVE DIR: Stir 1/2 cup mix into 2 cups milk in large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 7 min. or till mixture comes to full boil,stir every 3 min.Cool 15 min.Stir twice.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS