Trying and Trying and nothing helps

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Ms. Claudia Posted: Sun, Mar 6 2011 11:43 AM

I have Type 2 diabetes and my A1C is 7.6.

I have tried so many things to cut down blood sugar like the following and don't know where to turn now.

I am on a 45 carb diet, three times a day and 25 carb three snacks a day. I am at a the present time on Victoza 1.8 mg.

1000 mg Metformin twice a day.  I don't think there is a med we have not tried.

I don't know where to turn as when we start something new it will stay down but only for three days and then it starts to climb.  They are thinking of putting me on Lantus, and help, suggestions I surely need as I am getting tired of trying for the past 7 months and I have had diabetes for 4 years.

Diet, excerise is not doing it

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 2:31 AM

Hi, Ms. Claudia!  Sorry you're having a hard time, and wondering if you could give us some details on your current diet and exercise routines, so we can see if we might be able to offer some suggestions.

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

My diet is using "The Calorie King " and reading packages.  Fish,Chicken, and meat only the size of my palm if that large.  Snacks like small bananna, and of course twice a day broccilli, mostly green veggies, no corn, no peas.  No potatoes,rice and only small amount of wheat pasta once a mouth.  My diabetic dietian says all food and amounts and counts are right there is a problem why when starting a new med it works for three days and then b/s goes up.  I excerise 30 mintues on T101 horizon treadmill that increases grade and speed. Hope this help so some ideas can come my way.  Seven months this has been going on trying and trying. Eat wheat bread and check all items we buy after looking at carbs minus fiber and I have never totaled 45 carbs at any meal.  I could go on but hope enough will help

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

I had a C-peptide done and that was normal,also.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Mon, Mar 7 2011 10:05 PM

I like to refer to Calorie King, too.  Good reference book!  From what you say, it doesn't look like there's much more you can cut back on your food, or even improve on the types of food.  I also eat similar foods, and in very small amounts.  The way I arrived at my meal/exercise plan in the beginning was to just cut back on food and carbs, and increase exercise until I found the right balance -- as indicated by my bg meter -- especially the next morning's reading.  I also exercised frequently -- after every meal, and some snacks, and that worked so well that I have stuck with that basic plan for almost 13 years so far, although I gradually cut back on frequency as I was able to increase speed or intensity.  But very soon, I found that my fitness level increased to the point where I had to do more or do things differently in order to keep my heart rate up enough in order to continue to keep blood glucose down as much as before.  Losing all 40 pounds of excess fat during my first 6 months of eating this way and exercising every day (and evening) was what was making it more difficult to keep my exertion level up.  So I had to start doing different TYPES of exercise, as well as increasing length of time and intensity.  Luckily, as time went on, I was able to do more and more, and it was like my metabolism knew it, and was expecting that of me.  Well, bottom line: I suggest 1. spreading your exercise out over the day -- do some between meals -- anytime before the NEXT meal.  After breakfast and after dinner are my two most important times, although I usually also do some in  the afternoon -- after lunch and/or before dinner.  If I have a snack, I try to do a little extra.  My 13 year-old treadmill is still my most important machine for me, and I do but I also use the elliptical and do some biking on my regular bike that I put on a bike trainer to make it stationary.  I squeeze in all kinds of resistance moves when I can, too.  And 2. I aim for a certain total amount of minutes that sometimes I hit and sometimes I don't, but if I didn't aim for 45-60 minutes, I'd never come close.  LOL  And I know I need them ALL.  I keep an exercise log next to the treadmill that, in addition to my blood glucose log, tells me where I stand.  3. You might also get some benefit out of using a heart rate monitor, if you don't already.  That's what told me that my fitness level was so high.  My resting heart rate has dropped from the high 60s to the low 50s, and is probably on the way to 50 as we speak.  This makes it really hard to exert myself as much as I'd like to, so I am trying to do some new things, and also increase frequency, trying to keep it challenging, moderate to brisk, but continue to keep it doable.  If you're doing a lot of inclines and going over 3.5 mph, your fitness level is probably way higher than mine.  But I think you would benefit from splitting the exercise up into two or more sessions -- day and evening, if you aren't already.  Would you be able to do your 30 minutes twice a day -- once in the evening, or 20 minutes 3 times a day -- morning, afternoon, and evening?  Or some other type of workout -- doesn't have to be treadmill.  I have to go get on those machines now, so I'll be quiet for a while and let you tell me more, Claudia...

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Tue, Mar 8 2011 8:19 AM

just an idea: Can you cut the carbs back a little?

45 three times/day sounds about right.  However, the snacks sound a bit heavy.  I was told 15gms of carb for a snack.  It doesn't sound like a big difference, but its worth a try, no?

As for going on insulin, as someone who did so a year ago, I know its scary.  But its really not that bad.  Once you get used to the needles, its not too bad at all actually.

Oh, and best of luck getting this thing under control.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS