levemir?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad Posted: Sun, Jun 19 2011 8:24 PM

Just switched from NPH to Levemir. I was under the impression that the levemir insulin just keeps blood sugars at a constant level. Should I expect to go hypo if I miss a meal or eat later? Does a higher dosage of Levemir mean long lasting? Only on 23u at bedtime, which does last 24hrs. The target is 120mg.

TX

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 12:17 AM

Levemir is not intended to be used alone.  You need some quick acting insulin (if you are a type 1) or some insulin stimulator (if you are a type 2) to take when you eat.  I take 20 units of Levemir at bedtime, plus 2 mg of Amaryl before breakfast and 2 mg with my evening pills.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 12:45 AM

yep, take humalog at each meal, as well. Noticed that if I postpone lunch or dinner by an hour that I have a hypo. No humalog taken.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 9:10 AM

To answer your question about whether levimir just covers background insulin needs or whether it can make you go low if you do not eat:  Levimir or lantus can both make you go low.  Although they are INTENDED to be only for backround, or basal insulin needs, in reality they do not always work that way because the human body is not a machine that works accoring to set plans.  There could be variability in absorbtion, or your body may have different needs for basal insulin at different times of day.  When I took Lantus, I would go low at 3PM if I did not have a snack.  That is because my need for basal insulin at 3PM is very low.  But if I did not take 10 1/2 units of lantus before bed, my waking Blood sugar levels would be too high.

My solution was to switch to an insulin pump, where I can set my basal rates depending on my needs at different times of day.  Taking one dose of basal insulin once a day was just not effective for me and it is the same situation for many Type Is. 

If you do not wish to go on a pump, then test your blood sugar several times a day to find out when you are going low, and make sure to eat at these times in the future.

Julia

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS