Laser Blood sugar checking

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 4
CarolF2 Posted: Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:49 PM

Greetings;

Years ago I saw an ad in a Diabetic magazine for a new type of glyco monitoring device.

It used a type of laser. You pointed it at your finger and it would take your blood sugar without sticking.

I even suggested it to my Nurse Manager at the time-who's mother was a type one and she said it would be great for her. I know she got one for her. I never did follow up and find out how it was going.

I haven't seen it advertised again. Just like the regular machines-they are cheap it is the strips that cost.

That machine wasn't overly expensive-it was the "strips" that cost.

Has anyone seen that machine, or used it?

I would be interested in your feedback on the thing.

CarolF2

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 4
CarolF2 replied on Sat, Sep 10 2011 8:29 AM

Once again I ask if anyone has seen this device out there lately?

CarolF2

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Sun, Sep 11 2011 1:08 PM

This was a product idea/concept for a contest.  It was never an actual product.  The contest occurs every year to generate new ideas that may or may not actually result in real products.  Unfortunately, some "data miners" find such things and spread them around the internet and they get treated like real products.  This is one of the reasons you have to be very careful about what you read or see on the internet.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 173
zrebiec replied on Mon, Sep 12 2011 7:57 AM

It was actually  more than a concept, at least one company spent a small fortune trying to develop the device. I acutally had the opportunity to test it a few years ago - at that time, it was about the size of a quart of milk, and was eventually abandoned because of technical problems. The concept, however, is legitimate.

John Zrebiec, MSW, CDE

Moderator, Joslin Clinic

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS