foreign student in usa

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
mjprince posted on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:48 AM

I am writing here in order to recieve more information about the diabetes management in USA. I am an Italian student who is taking acount of going  abroad to study. Considering my problem, I do not know how, or if, I may be able to manage medicines supply and everything connected.  
Could someone give me any help?? 


All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 5:05 PM

I believe the same type of insulin is available here as in Italy, many years ago that was not the case.

You will need to get prescriptions for insulin in the US, and possibly syringes/needles.

Most all drugs in the US requires a prescription from a doctor.

Top 50 Contributor
48 Posts

Most American universities and colleges have health centers that would be able to help you with these questions.  Good luck!


-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE

Top 50 Contributor
48 Posts

I also spoke to one of our nurse educators about your question and she said that it is important to check into the insurance that each particular school is offering because your co-pays and what will be covered will differ between school insurance plans.  You may also want to check with your diabetes clinic in Italy since your insulin and diabetes supplies come under the Italian universal coverage plan.  Therefore, you might be able to bring enough supplies for a semester if your are planning to travel back and forth, but you would still need insurance through the college if something happened to your diabetes supplies and/or you needed to see a doctor or go to the hospital or ER in the US.  Good luck!


-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE



Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Nicole replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 3:40 PM

Hey Im italian too and I have diabetes (type1) but i live in the U.S.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS