Anyone on the OmniPod? Feedback

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
Arsinoe Posted: Wed, Feb 25 2009 6:24 PM

Hi Everybody!  It's been a long time since I was last on the Joslin board.  Happy to report that I have been feeling quite well and keeping busy with a number of interesting projects.

Although I have long recognized the usefulness of insulin pumps for T1, I was never able to get past the issue of being "attached."  Most every pump user that I know loves their pump, but I could not tolerate the tubes no matter where or how the pump is worn.

In recent years pumps, from all of the manufacturers, have gotten better and better.  So even though I don't mind MDI, I knew that one day I would re-open the question of pumping.

A few weeks ago I requested and received the OmniPod demo pod.  I slapped it on to my thigh--where the profile did not show through my clothes--and found that it was very comfortable.  During those three days I was in Florida and found that the pod was comforable, even during warm weather, while swimming, etc.  

Is anyone here using the OmniPod? Are you happy with it? Is there anything that you don't like about the OmniPod?

Is there anyone here running an OmniPod on insulin R?  Is it possible to program the OmniPod for the longer curve of insulin-on-board?  Waiting longer between bolusing and eating has never been much of an issue, and has some advantages. (For any number of reasons, I prefer not to switch to any of the insulin analogs.)  Changing insulins would pretty much be a deal breaker for me. 

Does anyone know whether Medicare will cover the OmniPod?  (I have traditional 80-20 Medicare, plus a medigap and part D plan.)  If not, what are your monthly out-of-pocket expenses for pods and any other pump-related expenses?

And does anyone here know an endocrinologist that they like, who has experience using the OmniPod?

Thanks a lot.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 90
Dee replied on Wed, Feb 25 2009 7:28 PM

Wow!  Great to see your post today, as I have thought of you often and wondered if you were doing well during your break from the board.  I can't help you with the pump.  I just wanted to say hello!  Dee

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Wed, Feb 25 2009 8:05 PM

Arsinoe, welcome back to the forum. There are still some of the old die-hards here!

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Wed, Feb 25 2009 9:25 PM

Great to hear from you again Arsinoe!  As Ron said, there are still many of us still using Joslin (albeit now with new software).  I hope you continue to post.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
Arsinoe replied on Wed, Feb 25 2009 11:51 PM

Recently I have also heard from Anne L., Laurie S. and Red Doxies.

Probably the nicest thing that happened are the friendships that I made, here and elsewhere.   Arsinoe

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 9:45 PM

Hi Arsinoe:

Wecome BAck to the board.  I was wondering how ou were.  I also had a break from the boards and have recently come back.  I'm glad things are well with you. 

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Fri, Feb 27 2009 11:01 PM

Arsinoe, getting back to your original question, I know very little about pumps, or this specific model. I believe the most common insulin used is Novolog as it is very fast acting. It would seem possible however that a pump could use a slower acting insulin. The key would seem to be having the ability to program in that insulin by name, or alternately manually program in the action curve of the insulin you plan to use. You may get to the answer the fastest by asking those specific questions to the manufacturer sales rep. I've gathered from reading the pumping posts that the manufacturers will bend over backwards to get the information and hopefully their pump into your hands.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
Arsinoe replied on Sat, Feb 28 2009 12:48 AM

For a whole bunch of reasons, I do not want to use Novolog, Humulog, etc.  (On rare occassions, I do use Novolog to correct, but don't like using it.)  YMMV

In any case, I am doing well, feel great, and have zero motivation to change insulins.

Also not very interested in any of the other pumps on the market--until someone else comes up with a pump sans infusion set.

Have been in contact with the manufacturer's rep, but came here hoping to find an OmniPod user.  

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Sat, Feb 28 2009 2:57 AM

Tifales does seem to use the OmniPod, but has not posted here since late last year. Went to search the old forum for users, but it appears they have been taken down.

Ron

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 21
BarbaraD replied on Sat, Feb 28 2009 9:21 AM

Hi Arsinoe!

Great to see you back!  I am on the Cozmo pump and don't have experience with the OmniPod, but the American Diabetes Assoc has a very active message board for type 1's and you could probably get an answer there.  (A lot of our old members post there including Mary, the mother of 2 diabetics) The site is diabetes.org.

Good luck!

Dx 2/01, pumping with Cozmo, Celiac, dx 8/05

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
Arsinoe replied on Sun, Mar 1 2009 2:43 AM

Thanks.  I haven't been on that board in ages, either.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Sun, Mar 1 2009 10:52 AM

I did find a users manual on line for the OmniPod. I would say it does not look very promising that you could use Regular insulin. See this link, but beware it is 9 MB so takes a while to download.

OmniPod User Manual

Page 14 (Adobe page 28), it gives some hope in that it has a setting for Duration of Insulin Action. However, it would appear this is more of a fine tuning for action dependent on the user, and not the insulin type. In the appendix 3 hours is used as an example of duration. It uses a very simple calculation to determine the insulin on board. An example is give on page 132 (146) using a 3 hour duration with a previous bolus of 3 units 1 hour ago. It calculates there are 2 units left on board (3-2/3*3). This feature seems to be only useful in calculating the amount of a second bolus while there is still insulin on board.

However, on page 41(55) there is a warning to only use Rapid action insulin. Not a lot in the manual on this, but it seems to be assumed that only this type of insulin will be used, so I suspect all the internal programing is based on Rapid.

Hope that helps some,

Ron

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
Arsinoe replied on Tue, Mar 17 2009 7:48 PM

Thanks for finding that link, Ron.

Haven't read the manual yet, but I will.

InsulinR really is a rapid insulin, at least in comparison with NPH, Lente, Lantus, etc.  

As long as I could set my "Duration of Insulin Action" to five hours, I am fairly certain that it could be run on InsulinR.  I will read the manual.

My current reservations about pumping concern added costs, and also wonder whether the company is financially stable.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 3
tallydl replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 12:22 PM

In regards to the Omnipod, I have been using it for 2 years now.  Previously I have used Medtronic MiniMed and Animas pumps as well.  I am very satisfied with my Omnipod.  I love not have any tubing.

However I cannot answer whether ro not you can use Regular insulin with this or any of the pumps.  Pumps are basically designed to use with Novolog or Humalog, at this time.

If you have never used Novolog or Humalong in a pump, you might want to try it.  I have used Regular in the past, by injection and was satisfied with it by injection.  When I first started with a pump, it also used with Regular insulin.  When I had to make the change over to Novolog (in my case), I was surprised on how well it worked with a pump.  Better than Regular, in a pump.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 35
Melissata replied on Mon, Jun 15 2009 9:37 AM

Arsinoe, I don't know if you are still around, but Melissa is starting on the Omnipod tomorrow and we are really looking forward to it. I see no reason that you couldn't use regular in any pump. You have the option of having the pump figure your doses for you based on blood sugar numbers and duration of insulin, so you can just turn that off if you want to do it the same as you have been doing with shots. Of course you could always change to a fast acting and just use the extended bolus to mimic the regular insulin as well. I know that there is likely a financial reason for this, but you could get faster corrections from the faster insulin and use the extended bolus options often. It is very easy to do, especially with the Omnipod. The option is right on the screen. We use it very often for low glycemic or higher protein and fat meals.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS