JoyceL replied on Fri, Aug 14 2009 8:25 AM

Medicare does not cover the OMNIPOD

joyce

Joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 35
JoyceL replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 8:25 AM

Hello everyone:

Rapid acting insulin are used in pumps. The names of the insulin are: Novolog, Apidra or Humalog.  They are used because they are more predictable Regular insulin used to be used however, any changes in basal has to be done 2 hours before the expected time so it does not give as much flexability as the more rapid insulins.

joycel

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 63
Joe replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 12:16 PM

Arsinoe:

Wow! Great to see you on the board again.  Hope all is going well with you.

Joe

Joe Buffalo

Type 2 Dx'd 4/98;

"Even if you're on the right track, You'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sat, Aug 22 2009 6:54 PM

Joe:

Nice to see you posting again as well.  I've missed all the old voices of friends on this board.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 63
Joe replied on Sat, Aug 22 2009 9:09 PM

jen1229:

Joe:

Nice to see you posting again as well.  I've missed all the old voices of friends on this board.

Thanks Jen!  It's good to see you still here too! Have a good weekend!

Joe Buffalo

Type 2 Dx'd 4/98;

"Even if you're on the right track, You'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 35
JoyceL replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 8:25 AM

Medicare does not cover the OmniPod

Joyce

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12

Hi Arsinoe,

I am currently using the OmniPod and love it.  You are right.  I waited until last year to even consider a pump.  It took me 10 months to get insurance approval (BCN Michigan) before they would approve.  My A1C got better (6.2) last three months.  I have been a diabetic now for 57 years - long time to take the needle.

There is nothing not to like about the OmniPod.  You don't have to remove it to bath, sleeping is great, no pulling out the cannula going around doors and door knobs and no one even knows you are wearing it.  I weigh only 115 pounds and even in my slim jeans you cannot see the pod.

OmniPod has not yet been approved by Medicare, but they are working on it.  I keep watching their progress because I would like to retire, but can't because of the insurance issue.  I received the Pod's from Insulet for one year.  Now BCN hired a new third party distributor and increased the price by 50% (J&B Medical Supply - Wixom, MI).   Unfortunately, there is no room for disucssion with them. 

Hope this helps

Donna From Dexter

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 11
drLaurie replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 12:05 AM

Hi Arsinoe!!!
I see that you returned "home" here yesterday.  I came back today.

I used the Omni pod for a week or so, and I think that - if you don't like being attached - you'll like it.  My only complaint is an artifact of my pumping for so long with an attached pump:  a coupla times I wanted to make an adjustment and the "brains" of the pump were not with me!

Once I was out in the yard and wanted to lower my basal for a while.  I had to go indoors to get the brains and adjust it.  That's NO BIG DEAL! except that with the attached pump, the brains & delivery are always with me.

The other downside was that I couldn't disconnect the pod if I wanted to.  Old technology, we can disconnect the tubing from our site and we have just a button-size piece still attached.  Because there is no NEED to disconnect that elegant Omnipod, that's likely a non-issue, too.  I was just a victim of my own experiences.

Insulin dosing with a pump is different than with syringes (we normally end up taking less) and you would need to adjust basal profiles different for R than for Novolog or Humalog which are the more standard.  That math won't be too difficult, the point is to time the basal rates so that the insulin is effective when you need it to be - in the right doses.  Novo and Humalog peak sooner and get out of our systems quicker than R does, so I think you'll be tweaking the standard setup profiles to accommodate that. 

Good luck with this if you do move forward on it.  I know you like to travel a LOT and R will sure be easier to get (even without an RX in some places).

drLaurie, not an MD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12

Dear Arsinoe,

I am in my 57th year with being a diabetic.  I too was unable to accept be wired to a pump.  Last year I finally was approved by my insurance for the OmniPod and I love it.  Currently, Medicare does not approve the OmniPod.  When I retire in 2013 I am hoping that OmniPod will have Medicare approval.  If not I plan on just going back to the needle.  I use only Novolog insulin.  My cost is 50% or $450 every three months.  I found that most endocrinologist are not trained with many of the pumps, however, all of the hospitals have on call staff to help.  Insulet has a wonderful group of people to help the patient with questions - I have called them at all times and they calm you down and help.  All of their staff our diabetics so they understand. 

Hope this helps.

Donna from Dexter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 35
JoyceL replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:14 AM

medicare does not cover the omnipod

Joyce

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS