Generic for Lipitor

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Daniel Fickett Posted: Mon, Feb 6 2012 1:46 PM

My insurance company recently changed my Lipitor prescription to a generic called atorvastatin.

Is that an acceptable substitute?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374

Sure, I've been on it for about a month and have had no side effects.  This generic has been in the works for quite awhile.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Wed, Feb 8 2012 3:29 PM

Please keep us posted as to what your lab results are next time so we can see if the generic Lipitor is as good at lowering cholestrol. Thanks.

Also, my insurance company has done a total roundabout on Lipitor...not only is the brand name a preferred drug---they are giving me the brand name 90 day supply for ZERO copay....unreal.  This too shall pass I am sure , but I am happy cause Lipitor worked so much better for me that the other generic I was put on last year.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Cholesterol and clogged arteries can be lowered by the use of vitamin D3 called Niacin. It has been shown to reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol. Doctors should know this but don't let people know.  They have come out with a drug based on Niacin called Niaspan. It acts in the same way but has had some side effects which affect the liver, whereas Niacin doesn't

Look up Niacin on google and it will confim what I am saying. It can have a couple of minor side effects such as making you itchy and red and feeling warm. This is because it is a vasodilator.  The symptoms dissappear after about 30 mins. You can avoid them by taking an aspirin 30 minutes before taking the Niacin.

I pay about $ 10 for 100 pills good for 50 days. Take about 1 gram a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 2:12 PM

Glad to hear that Niacin is working for you.  My husband's doctor started him on that years ago.  He could  not take the " hot flashes" and it also caused his knee to swell. 

I never tried it.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12
DeeF replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:15 PM

Shortie, my hubby was red as a lobster at least three nights a week while he took Niacin. I coudn't stand the medication either!

I have the new generic Lipitor but I have to use up all my other first. I sure hope there are no fillers or additives to make me not be able to use it. I have tried other statins but this one is the gold standard for me. Dee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 9:47 AM

I spoke too soon!  Just got a letter from my insurance company yesterday!  They are changing dispensing brand name Lipitor for the generic form starting March 1.  So I will see if they automatically change my brand name to the generic even tho my doctor marked an X in the DAW box!  I am not willing to take another generic as I just got on the brand name that I know works.  My numbers went up considerably that my endo said get off the generic.  Wonder what they will charge me for a 3 mo supply of Lipitor if it is not preferred!  What a joke this system is.  My doctor does not get to tell the pharmacy what I am supposed to be on....

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12
DeeF replied on Sat, Feb 11 2012 10:16 AM

Since DAW was on your prescription you should get the real deal. But...I have no confidence in that opinion after dealing with doctor offices and pharmacy incompetence lately. Fight for it, and if necessary have your doctor rewrite the script!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:36 PM

Okay....I will see what happens in March when I reorder my 90 day mail order supply.  In NYS it is not legal to change my prescription without my doctor's order.  I will have to call first too to see just what the new copay is for the brand name Lipitor....It should be $100  for a 90 day supply if it is not preferred....I can handle that cause I know it works.  I hate being an experiment for my pharmacy company.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS