question abouttype 1 diabetes in children?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
1 Posts
momof3angels posted on Thu, Feb 16 2012 4:18 PM

Please help!  My 9 year old daughter passed out yesterday while shopping.  I was fortunate to be with my friend who's daughter has diabetes, and she tested my kiddos blood sugar and it was 259.  I immediately called the doctor and took her in, about 3 hours later her sugar was 99.  She had a fasting test this morning, and we are still waiting for answers.  I'm scared and trying to research a little about high blood sugar, and have found some symptoms listed that my daughter has experienced for the last year or so.  She has weighed 54 pounds for the last year, and will gain and lose 2-3 pounds, but she stays about that weight.  I am homeschooling her because she has missed so much school because of nausea, really bad stomach aches, and fatigue.  She also eats all the time, and drinks constantly.  Are these common symptoms of diabetes?  How could I have missed this for so long?  If she does have the disease, where do we go from here? 

Thank you in advance for your input and support!

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
27 Posts
Camilla replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 5:34 PM

Oh dear you must be worried out of your mind, I cannot imagine what you must be going through. Indeed signs of diabetes include great thirst. The doctors will look after her and will show you how to ensure her blood sugar stays stable.

I am a type 2 so unfortunately I have no knowledge of how to deal with type 1 in children. All I can say is that I have read that type 1 is increasing and it is not known why. Try to stay calm if you can and remember you did not do anything wrong at all. These things sometimes just happen and all we can do is cope somehow. Doctors are well experienced in childhood diabetes and I hope your daughter will be stable and healthy again very soon.

I wish you strength through this very worrying time. I do hope other people here will help you.

Good wishes to you and your family.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS