Diabetes cost

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
LSHerzog Posted: Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:43 PM

I know that I'm not the only one who experiences this firsthand, but are there any good reasons?

The cost of having diabetes and treating it properly and aggressively is enormous.  From testing strips that sell for almost $2 apiece ($1.25 with insurance) to the cost of insulin (why is there no generic?), a person has to have either a really good job, or live like a pauper just to keep going.

It seems that with all the innovations and cost cutting that mass production has brought, the prescriptions and the products for increased care would be more reasonable, especially when you hear that proper treatment prevents costly hospitalization in later years.

Anyone have an answer?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:19 PM

I use the Reli On meters from Wal Mart and the test strips are $36 for 100 strips or $0.36 per strip and my Medicare Advantage plan pays for most of that.  It's interesting that the patents on insulin have run out long ago but there are no generics.  Most generic oral meds can be had at Wal Mart for $4 or less.  Eating a low carb diet will reduce the units of insulin required, as will losing weight if overweight.  I've lost 80 lbs. since being diagnosed and have gone from several oral meds and Levemir to just Metformin and an occasional Starlix to cover high carb meals I can't avoid.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 6:20 PM

I often wondered that myself, but like everything the cost of raw goods keep going up to manufacture it. Luckily I have insurance but still it works out to be around $150 a month out of pocket. If I had to pay it myself, it would probably run around $300+

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DiabetesEd replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:55 AM

Like someone else said, the Reli-On meter at WalMart is the most affordable meter.  The oral meds are free at some stores.  In Indiana some are free at Meijer and Marsh.  Walmart sells Humulin insulins for $25 a bottle but if you go to other pharmacies they are much more expensive.  If you have no insurance you can have your doc change you to NPH and R if you are using insulins.  I don't personally like Walmart but you can definitely save a buck there.  Good luck. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 27
Camilla replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 6:22 PM

It can be costly but you can bring that cost right down by getting really organised and focussed. By eating low carb and exercising, you can control by diet alone hopefully, then you save money on prescriptions. The cost of strips is very expensive so if possible it is practical to test less as time goes on. What I mean is, once you know all the foods and meals that spike you, you don't need to test every single time. For a type 2 like me it is enough to test just a couple of times a day. I know it is far more difficult for type 1's or those on medications or insulin - but I presume those patients get help with the supplies.

As you say, it is an expensive illness.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
R in NC replied on Mon, Mar 5 2012 9:42 AM

Try asking your doctor for samples. I am uninsured and certainly struggled to pay over $300.00 a month for my injectables and additional costs for meter and needle related needs.

... just a 2-cent thought

... when you act nice to people who bug the heck outta ya ... ya' wearin' a plastic face.

If ya' tug on my face ... ain't no plastic!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374

The Reli On meters from Wal Mart are only $9.  I would recommend the Confirm model if you want to be able to download your data to your computer.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS