Diabetes & CKD

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lauren Posted: Thu, Apr 12 2012 4:21 PM

HI everyone,

I am disabled with quite a few health issues but don't let them get in my way!

I was diagnosed with Type II in 2003, went along for a few years and did very well.  Then in the winter of 2005-6, I had a lot of highs, but didn't report them...my bad!!  Hence, a diagnosis of Stage 2 CKD in December, 2006.

I'm now at Stage 3, go for my regular checkups and bloodwork every 3 months and have another appt. with my nephrologist the end of April.  I'm trying to 'be good' and do things right. 

I also have borderline high cholesterol, touchy blood pressure (although it's been good lately), prone to blood clots (on warfarin), lots of arthritis and a profound hearing loss.

Other than that, I'm just ducky!!  I do have a happy, positive outlook and think that helps.  I'm just sort of relaxing and doing what I should do, after being quite overwhelmed by the CKD diagnosis and not being too happy because folks weren't giving me a specific diet.  Everyone just says take care of your diabetes and you'll take care of your kidneys.  I thought there would be more to the 'menu' of specifics like a diabetes diet.

I am a passionate knitter and am learning to spin my own yarn....have 2 feline room-mates.  My sister, who is also disabled lives very close and we do everything together.

I'm glad to be here, hope to learn a lot and, hopefully, help who I can.

Thanks for all the info and closeness of these groups!!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 10:00 PM

Lauren, what meds are you on?  I was on Byetta for 5 years when I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease.  Turns out it was the Byetta causing the kidney problems.  I changed to Levemir and my kidney function got better.  I am now off all my diabetes meds (except Metformin which I take for the health benefits, not for my diabetes) and my kidney function is now normal.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 51
ckdsite replied on Thu, May 10 2012 11:39 PM

First of all, we can start with our daily life by reducing the possible risk factors.iabetes is bound up with the intake of calorie, obesity, overnutrition and lack of exercises, so in our daily life, we should try to reduce the intake of calorie and form the “three low and one high” dietary habit which refers to low-salt, low-sugar, low-fat and high-fibre. Eat more fresh fruits, vegetables and cereals. Moreover, do some moderate sports activities every day.

Secondly, control high blood sugar by receiving treatment actively.

Thirdly, according to the research, about 75pervent of adult with Diabetes have high blood pressure and high blood pressure.

This is from Diabetes and Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) article 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12
DeeF replied on Fri, May 11 2012 6:25 PM

Welcome Lauren, you certainly have the right attitude to deal with all your health issues. Post often there is a lot of good information here and lots of help if you need it! Dee

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 51
ckdsite replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:52 AM

In the stage 3 CKD, GFR has a moderate decrease and kidney function has been damaged to a more serious degree. Much waste products accumulate in the blood vessels, and a series of complications will appear with the decline of kidney function. In this period, the parathyroid hormone increases obviously, and there are changes with the metabolism of lipoprotein. The absorption of calcium and the excretion of phosphorus decrease, and renal Anemia and Hypertension will appear. Also, a very important point in this stage is the increasing risk of cardiac vascular diseases.

In stage 3, the most urgent thing is to have an effective treatment of the complications, because those complications can accelerate the progress of kidney disease and then kidney function will be lost quickly. CVD happens in many cases, and the risk of death increases so the life quality of patients will be affected therewith.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 10

Once the person’s condition develops into Stage 3 Kidney Disease, your doctor will suggest you to refer to a dietitian. Then the dietitian will make a healthy plan for you, according to your test results. For Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease, a healthy diet may recommend: A Healthy Diet Made For Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease

By the way, there is detailed information on diet for CKD patient.

Stop Eating the Mushrooms Anymore: Tips for CKD Patients

Detailed Information on Salt and Potassium Intake for CKD Patients

Hope it can help you!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS