Teen - eating habits

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
T1mom posted on Mon, May 7 2012 8:52 AM

Kind of beating myself up re not providing best food choices for son/family. We have one child, who was diagnosed T1 at age 10. He is now 17, a jr in high school, driving and stopping after school for a smoothie! He uses insulin pen for novolog and levemir. (Not ready for pump....doesn't want anything attached. Into basketball, and stays active.)  So...I'm hoping we can go to an educational weekend at Joslin. We're near DC, but kinda need help and not getting it here.  We're currently seen at Children's Hospital (CNMC) in DC, but Joslin is where I'd rather be. Any words of wisdom?  thanks so much.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
48 Posts

There is always a chance to get more information about diabetes. It sounds like this is good time for your son, along with your family, to get more diabetes information, especially around nutrition, as it is likely that your son may be finishing high school over the next year. Our Pediatric, Adolescent and Young Adult Program offers many opportunities to assist older teens and emerging young adults with diabetes self-care approaches to help prepare them for effective diabetes management during this important and transitional life stage. Please call Louise Crescenzi, our pediatric coordinator, at 617 732 2603 to learn about these programs or to set up a 1-2 day visit to our center.  Good luck!

-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE and Lori Laffel, MD, MPH

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Suggested by Crazymom6171

My 13 year old daughter was dx at age 7. She also has ADHD. I have always treated her like a "regular" kid as far as food goes. I let her have the same things all other kids are having just cover it with the insulin pump. She continuously sneaks food and lies about her numbers. Any suggestions??

Top 50 Contributor
31 Posts
Debbie replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 10:03 AM

At Joslin we like to say that a healthy meal plan for an individual with diabetes is the same as a healthy meal plan for someone without diabetes.  A healthy meal plan includes moderate portion sizes and encourages eating a nutritious mix of foods, with occasional treats.  We also like to encourage patients and parents to look at all blood sugar information as “good” information and that blood sugars can either be “high,” “low,” or “in range,” but not “good” or “bad.”  If your daughter is able to look at every blood sugar as “good” information, like a compass that guides her as to how much insulin she needs, then she may feel more comfortable being honest about her blood sugars.  This is not an easy thing to do. I would encourage you to discuss these concerns with your daughter’s health care team.  Also is there a dietitian that you can meet with that is knowledgeable about pediatric diabetes?  Also some families find it helpful to also meet with a mental health clinician that is knowledgeable about pediatric diabetes to discuss issues like this.  Good luck!

-Debbie Butler, MSW, CDE       

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS