Can Diabetics Drink Coffee

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 51
ckdsite Posted: Tue, May 8 2012 10:58 PM

Can Diabetics Drink Coffee ?Coffee is a common drink which many people are fond of. When people are suffering from diabetes, they want to know whether they can continue with this drink. It is said by experts that drinking coffee can prevent diabetes for coffee contains chlorogenic acid, which can inhibitα- glucuroide. In addition, chlorogenic acid can also reduce the absorption of sugar, promote the transport and oxidation of glucose, control the density of blood sugar. At the same time, chlorogenic acid can also protect the endothelium of the capillaries, prevent the atherosclerosis and the cardiovascular disease.stem cells therapy for diabetes

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear List Serve:

Coffee is an interesting paradox in that the data indicate that coffee consumption may lower the risk of developing diabetes.  At the same time coffee can increase blood glucose levels in some people who have diabetes.  This doesn't mean that it needs to be excluded from the diet, only that one needs to be aware of the potential and treat it if necessary.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 51
ckdsite replied on Thu, May 10 2012 11:35 PM

but coffee is contain sugar, so your Blood sugar will rise?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sat, May 12 2012 3:32 PM

I haven't had sugar in my coffee (or tea) since I was diagnosed with diabetes and to the best of my knowledge coffee in itself does not contain any natural carbohydrates or sugar. The effects on blood sugar of drinking black coffee would therefore more have to be how the body responds to a high dose of caffeine, e.g. releasing glucogen from the liver.

Tor

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Trekker replied on Sat, May 12 2012 5:55 PM

I've never noticed that coffee has effected my diabetes at all. I use artificial sweetener and milk which I compensate a bit on my pump.

Trekker

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Mon, May 14 2012 2:46 PM

I have recently seen this effect from coffee.

I can have a normal FBS, and after 2 mugs I'll be in the 150-160 range, with no source of carbs.  I may have to switch to decaf, or half caf.

Since my last c-peptide shows my insulin levels approaching those of the typical type 1, I suspect this caffeine impact may show up more in T1's than T2's.  Does anyone know of a study that looks into that?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 51
ckdsite replied on Wed, May 30 2012 3:49 AM

While regular coffee intake may help reduce your risk of some diseases, including liver cancer, Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease, some research has shown that caffeine can have negative effects on individuals with type 2 diabetes. If you are diabetic and currently drink one or more cups of coffee per day, you may want to switch to decaffeinated coffee.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 9
ken hanly replied on Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:39 AM

Coffee does not contain sugar as far as I know. People put sugar in their coffee and then it has sugar. I take coffee black as milk too has sugar. I think it may increase my BG slightly but not much.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS