Resources

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
2 Posts
Anne posted on Mon, Aug 13 2012 11:41 AM

I have a newly diagnosed 11-year old daughter who has been lucky enough to have a teacher as a mom who can stay with her throughout the summer. As it nears that time of year again and demands are put on me, I am finding it so difficult to find childcare for her. There is so much involved with this illness that it's hard to find anyone who has even remotely seemed interested in helping. Those who have work Monday through Friday. I don't have any immediate family here who can help.

We have had the pen for awhile thinking it would be the "answer"--she can administer the insulin herself, etc... She has tried and has been successful only with my support. We experience meltdowns when she can't do it herself--she calls herself stupid, worthless, etc. She is in the anger phase and is cursing herself and God for not listening to her prayers. Yes we have tried practicing on oranges, etc.

My question is--how do you go about finding a network in your area of people who can help? Are there such a thing as Mobile Nurses? I have tried calling the Health Dept. and also Joslin, but not a lot of help. I've even considered putting in a want-ad for someone in my "backwoods" area to help. Has anyone out there experienced this?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 5:37 PM

what is the reason for not being able to use the pen? Novo makes the NovoPen Junior for children, novo also makes the NovoPen Penmate where the needle remains concealed until you push the plunger.

Top 50 Contributor
31 Posts
Debbie replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 3:41 PM

I am glad that you are asking for help. Children and teens can get nervous to self-administer insulin and that is sad that your daughter has been feeling so bad about this. This can also happen with pump insertions, CGM insertions, or finger sticks. Adults can get nervous as well.  So it sounds like she still needs help with insulin administration if that is possible.

I think parents of children with diabetes can be the best referrals for child care.  Is there a local support group that you can join so you can speak to other parents?  Can you call your local ADA (American Diabetes Association), JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation), or local diabetes center to see if they know about any parent groups? I also wonder if you could speak to the school nurses in your district and see if there if there is another parent of a child with diabetes that they could connect you with. Some families hire teens or young adults with diabetes as babysitters.

I have not heard of Mobile Nurses.  In our area there are VNA (visiting nurses) but they seem to discharge the case as soon as the person or caretaker learns to administer an injection vs helping with ongoing care.  Also the VNAs are not always able to come at the exact time that insulin needs to be administered.   

Finally have you considered meeting with a mental health provider that specializes in diabetes? I wonder if your daughter’s health care team has a clinical social worker or psychologist that you could both work with to discuss diabetes specific stressors.

Good luck and I hope that other parents reply as well.

-Debbie Butler, MSW, CDE

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Suggested by JENN MORROW

Hi Anne,

I know a parent in a similar situation and she was able to find a sitter who has a nursing degree and is very comfortable providing care.  The sitter trained at children's and is waiting for an open position in the NICU.  Until she finds that position, she babysits and lives at home with her parents.

They found her by using the web service sittercity.com.  Perhaps you could find someone similar?  Good Luck!

Jenn

Mother to a 4 yr old type 1 diabetic 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS