Help

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
fefyphelps Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2012 11:48 AM

How I can I help my mom who might have diabetes? She has almost all the symptoms and we have a long history of diabetes in my family. Do I make her exercise or eat less sugary things? I have really no clue what to do here.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 12:09 PM

She needs to see a doctor for an evaluation, and get a fasting and blood tests. Certainley diet and exercise can help, but may not be enough.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 51
floydf replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 2:30 PM

You should convince her to see a Dr, if she does not agree, then if you have a family member with diabetes, they have a blood testing kit which you could use to determine her blood sugar level, using that information to help convince her to see a Dr.

Exercise and eating less sugary things suggest a possible solution, but you don't know what her problem is without consulting a Dr

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
densant13 replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 4:08 AM

yup she definitely needs to see her doctor asap. this is to be sure on what her real status is.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 31
Debbie replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 12:18 PM

I am glad that you are asking for help. I agree that she needs to see her doctor.  Please let us know what happens.  Good luck!

-Debbie Butler, MSW, CDE

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:21 PM

Yes, she needs to see her dr. ASAP!

additionally, you might find a copy of a book from the American Diabetes Association at your library....it will have all sorts of information in it regarding what diabetes does to the body.  That might help her to make up her mind to go see the dr. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 31
Debbie replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 12:15 PM

I also wanted to let you know that I spoke to one of the Joslin doctors about your question and this is what she said:

I am glad that you are asking for help. First, to determine if she has diabetes, it is important that she see her doctor. There are generally simple blood tests to confirm the diagnosis of diabetes. As you know, common symptoms of diabetes (and high blood sugars in general) include thirst, frequent urination, getting up at night to urinate, blurry vision at times, yeast infections, fatigue, weight loss, and hunger among other symptoms. It is important to see the health care team soon in order to avoid any major health problems from elevated blood sugar levels. There is a lot that you can do to help your mother - like encouraging her to go to the doctor and then supporting her if she has diabetes with her treatment plan - which might include exercise and healthy eating among other medical therapies. Please let us know what happens.  Good luck!

-Debbie Butler, MSW, CDE and Lori Laffel, MD, MPH

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2

Thank you all I've been talking/showing her and she's gonna make an appointment to go see a doctor.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS