Testing

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
macaroo posted on Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:34 AM

I was recently diagnosed with pre diabetes and have been testing regularly.My problem is I have tremors and the shaking of my hands makes it very hard to hit that tiny drop of blood.Any suggestions or is their a different method of testing ?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 8:40 PM

you can also test on your arm also. Some meters use a different test strip which has a larger window to collect the blood. Might want to look at the Accu-Chek advantage meter.

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
macaroo replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 8:45 AM

Thanks,but I don't have an issue lancing myself. I have an issue hitting the drop of blood without hitting my arm because of the shaking.I was hoping their was some type of meter that didn't use test strips but could be just layed against the blood without regard to touching the skin.Do they make ant such thing ?

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:39 AM

Only other meter is a continous glucose monitor, which is overkill for you. It is basically a small wire that goes under the skin, and records your blood glucose reading during the day and send results to a meter, these run around $1K.

After lancing you should have a big drop of blood, and the test strip will suck it up. Maybe others will chime in.

Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts
kidneycare replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:07 PM

you can go to hospital and listion to doctor suggestion

Top 10 Contributor
Male
137 Posts
Tor replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 5:49 PM

You didn't mention the cause of your tremours. A friend of mind who had a similar problem was prescribed a daily low dose of a beta blocker and in that case the tremours were reduced enough that they were no longer a problem.

I also heard on a radio program - though haven't seen any documentation yet - that there is a new continuous glucose meter that measures through a fingercap, similar to the one used to monitor heartrate and/or blood oxygen levels in a hospital setting. That is something you could ask your local pharmacist or diabetes educator about.

Tor

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 10:18 AM

would love to have a cgm like that, just to see how meals affect blood glucose.

Top 50 Contributor
18 Posts

here have a Diabetes health assessment questionnaire , i don't know if right ,you can try it http://www.kidney-cares.org/diabetes-questionnaire.html

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS