Optifast

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 3
Rob Posted: Tue, Mar 24 2009 1:03 AM

I started the Optifast meal replacement program two months ago and have lost 40 pounds.  I am off my insulin and take one shot of Byetta in the AM.  I still am on 2000MG of Metformin and take 5mg of glyburide at night. 

I eat 5 bars a day, which are really good!  I also drinl 64-100oz of water.

It is a great program!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 6:38 AM

Any "diet" where real food is replaced by a bar or a drink is a set-up for eventual failure.  If you should go off the diet and start eating regular food you are likely to put the weight back on because you are not retraining your eating habits.

I have been on weight watchers for 11 weeks and I have lost 31 pounds.  I pretty much eat the same foods I always have, can eat pretty much anything I want within reason and my numbers have come wway down.  Although I have been out of work since last April on disability, I did not join WW until January.  I go to meetings and use the online program to log my food and progress.   I'm feeling much better and can walk better as well.  I hpe to be able to get back to swimming soon if I can et a reduce rate at the a'Y'.

I'm not knocking your progress, but I think there are better ways to lose weight.  I think someone on this board used that plan once before.k

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 135
RobertIA replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 8:16 PM

I agree with jen 1229.  And if you are on this without a doctor in supervision, I would get to a doctor and not one pushing diets.  Maybe one specializing in nutrition because in my humble opinion you are going to need him/her when you come off this diet if you don't end up in the hospital.  If you are under a doctors supervision, I would suggest getting a second opinion.  Just my two cents.

Type 2 (10/2003)   Lantus and Novalog   Now added Metformin      Retired

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 3
Rob replied on Tue, Mar 24 2009 11:50 PM

It is medically supervised.  I was referred by my endocrinologist.  I am worried about the maintenance part, though.  I told my doctor that I would like to meet with the nutritionist after my weight loss program.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 135
RobertIA replied on Wed, Mar 25 2009 12:14 AM

Rob,

I feel better now.  I will admit that I am very easily worried about this diet as I lost a longtime friend who was on it and not properly supervised.  No nutritional information was given when he ended it and within a few days, his body just could not adjust. While I'm not sure the official cause of death, the family says starvation.  Plus, I'm sure that there are many things I am not privy to, but just the name now scares me.

Good luck and stay in touch with the doctors!

Type 2 (10/2003)   Lantus and Novalog   Now added Metformin      Retired

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 3
Rob replied on Wed, Mar 25 2009 1:02 AM

Hi Robert!

Thanks for the reply!

That is really scary!

The first two weeks of the program were brutal.  I was starving all the time. My cravings were out of control.  The good thing about the program is that you take one class per week to educate you on things.

Thanks, again, for replying!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Wed, Mar 25 2009 10:04 AM

Hi Rob,

I'm glad to hear your weight loss program is medically supervised.  Before you go off the meal replacement onto real food, I strongly encourage you to consult with a registered dietician who is successful in working with people who have T2 diabetes and weight issues.  In my experience, too many dieticians see food only as fuel for the body, not as the enjoyable experience of eating.  Another option is joining a weight loss program such as Weight Watchers.  As long as you still have 10 lb to lose, you can enroll in WW.  If feasible, attend the meetings of several different leaders and choose the one who is best for you and your issues.  Leaders vary widely from those who teach by the book to those who are long on recipes and substitutions to those (like mine) who focus on the emotional aspects of eating. 

Good luck -- and keep at it!

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

ANYONE (especially MEDICAL folks) have info on a new product....

supposedly endorsed by Deepak Chopra.... for weight loss, general health and reduction of inflammation.

1-zrii  ???
     containing Amalaki and other herbs.

2-Nutrii Veda???????????

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear Tylersydney,

I haven't heard of these particular products- can you send a url or reference advertisement so that I can check on them.  Thank you

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS