What do i eat now

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
jpatrick Posted: Wed, Nov 6 2013 9:06 PM

I have diabetes in the early stage but i will get more info.

I need to make my food input more healthy in having control of this problem.

I had thought i was eating good but i was surprised to learn i have this in its early stage.

My mom had the type 2 diabetes and she passed away at 57, 7 years earlier then my age now.

I think of her and now i am that more like her.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 8:26 PM

a diet lower in carbs and fat.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
jpatrick replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 4:59 PM

I have always been one of eating good food, no junk food or very little of that kind of food. Very little drinks (alcohol) but my mom had this disease from her childhood.

Now I am being all that more aware of what i am eating.

Plus as be active is another confusing thing way i am getting this disease.   

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 2

Avoid food that contains more carbohydrates.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear jpatrick:

First don't beat yourself up about how you were eating; genetics play a large role in type 2 diabetes. Going forward, until you make an appointment with a dietitian, divide your plate in half and cut one of the halves in half again. Fill the complete half with non-starches vegetables, such as salad or broccoli, tomato and spinach.  One of the plate quarters should contain starch, such as brown rice, potatoes, bread, quinoa, barley, whatever starch you like and the other quarter protein, lean meats, low-fat cheese, soy. In addition you can have a small piece of fruit and a glass of milk or yogurt.

If you are able, start an exercise program such as walking each day for 20 minutes.

If you have pre-diabetes it can be reversed with weight loss (5-7 percent of body weight), healthy eating and exercise.

Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 7:59 PM

The key is to choose healthy carbs (i.e. low on the glycemic index) and healthy fats (i.e. non saturated ones from sources like olive oil or fish, rather than meat and dairy products). Those two guiding principles will go a very long way towards helping a type II diabetic live a long and happy life.

Tor

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 10:36 PM

This article at the Mayo clinic website gives some basic information about the GI diet:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glycemic-index-diet/MY00770

This link points to a list of some common foods and how they rate on the Glycemic Index:

http://www.glycemicindex.ca/glycemicindexfoods.pdf

Tor

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 1:53 PM

One simple step is to skip back even earlier than when your mom lived, to your great grandparents.

As you are wandering through the aisles of a supermarket looking for your next dinner, think about what your great grandmother might recognize as being food, and what not.

You'll probably find that most of the frozen section, cereals, snacks and desserts would be rated as garbage. Not surprisingly, that's what makes up the majority of the diet of the majority of Americans.

Now head for the outer aisles, the produce, meats, fish and dairy sections. Your great grandma could no doubt cook up a blizzard of a dinner with ingredients here,

Make this a mental exercise whenever you go shopping and you are on your way towards a far healthier lifestyle.

Tor

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 7:04 PM

jpatrick:

I have always been one of eating good food, no junk food or very little of that kind of food. Very little drinks (alcohol) but my mom had this disease from her childhood.

Now I am being all that more aware of what i am eating.

Plus as be active is another confusing thing way i am getting this disease.   

Hi, J ~ in additon to portion control, carb-counting can be beneficial, as well -- within a well-balanced, low fat, high fiber diet.  I would recommend asking your doctor for a referral to a Registered Dietician (RD) for help with counting carbs, label-reading and meal planning.

Another very beneficial thing is daily exercise -- not just "being active", but doing a certain amount of planned exercise at something like moderate intensity -- possibly small sessions several times a day.  Brisk walking after meals or snacks is good place to start.  It will get your metabolism moving and help keep blood glucose in control.  You can use your blood glucose meter to see the results -- not just immediately afterwards (which can be temporarily high, then lower an hour to several hours later and at bedtime) but also will have a good effect on next morning's fasting BG levels, because exercise provides a metabolic boost for several hours afterwards.

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS