17 year update

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor Posted: Fri, Nov 7 2014 11:27 AM

I had my annual checkup at the local diabetes health centre yesterday, for the 16th time since I was diagnosed with type 2 in March of 1998.

The good news was that the dietician had nothing new to add to my mealplan, the nurse found no signs of neuropathy or damage to my hands or feet, and the endocrinologist said I was good to go for yet another year without meds or insulin, as my hba1c was still below the 7.0 cutoff.

So it is obvious that my original lifestyle plan of eating low GI carbs and mostly unprocessed foods and walking for 40 minutes after every meal, is still working well and allowing me to defy the many warnings I got about diabetes type 2 'being a progressive disease that thwarts any effort to manage without meds/insulin'.

Tor

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Wed, Nov 12 2014 8:42 PM

good job, my friend.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Fri, Nov 14 2014 7:40 PM

Hope you are doing well madman, it's been a few years now since those original meetings and brainstormings in the Joslin discussion boards. I miss some of those folks but I guess most have moved on, in one way or another.

Tor

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sun, Nov 16 2014 9:36 AM

I read an article a while ago - can't remember where - that resonated with me and I'm wondering if anyone else can add to that.

According to that article, if you are successful in managing diabetes through exercise and diet, and have to take a break from your routine, you get a 2 for 1 benefit from your previous investment in management. In other words, manage successfully for a year and enjoy good blood sugars for two years.

I assume that is meant to be opposed to managing through meds and/or insulin injections, though I don't have any experience in that area.

However, I did experience a year (2010) where I was unable to maintain my diet and exercise routine due to recovering from a near fatal cardiac arrest. At the end of that year, without any significant exercise and subject to hospital foods (I'll say no more) my Hba1c had climbed up to 5.8 which I would consider a definite confirmation of the lasting effect of management through diet and exercise.

Not to say I would suggest exploiting that potential to stop your diet and exercise routine, but if the worst happens, as in my case, it is good to know that you are prepared.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS