Type 2 diabetes diet

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20
momwithkidz Posted: Sun, Dec 28 2014 4:57 PM

Hi all, pretty interesting that I have not done exercise and over 2 year and have still be able to keep a normal blood sugar without any exercise.

My Ac1 which use to be over 8.0 is not a steady 6.0 just from changing my diet without any exercise at all. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 20

Hi Mary and John, thanks for the email.  Hi, newtodiabetes thanks for the Holiday email, to those asking about my diet... I stopped Metformin and am doing the Swedish type 2 diabetes diet

Here type 2 diabetes diet

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sat, Jan 10 2015 8:47 PM

It appears that those following the half century old recommendations for a low fat diet if you want to avoid cardiovascular problems are losing ground fast. This is highly relevant for most people with diabetes, who are considered to be at high risk of heart attacks. A recent study in Spain, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, placed healthy people at risk of cardiovascular disease into one of three groups: A simple low fat diet; a relatively high fat Mediterranean diet supplemented with large amounts of extra virgin olive oil, and a mediterranean diet supplemented with large amounts of walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts. Over a period of five years, the people in either of the groups following the Mediterranean diets had a 30 percent lower risk of suffering a heart attack than those in the low fat diet, the one currently recommended by many doctors and dieticians in the western world. According to the article in the medical journal, those responsible for the study met regularly with participants and even conducted blood and urine tests to ensure compliance with the study guidelines.

Noteably the mediterranean diets included what many would consider to be healthy fats, avoiding transfats and the saturated fats that have been linked to cardiovascular disease.

I became aware of this study through the diabetes learning center at my local hospital, which in cooperation with the cardiology department at the hospital is sponsoring an intensive training course for people wanting to switch to a diet with a focus on healthy fats rather than a high amount of carbohydrates.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS