Food list for diabetes

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 29
newtodiabetes Posted: Fri, Apr 3 2015 2:18 PM

A new study says diabetics should be eating eggs. The study is from Finland.

food list for diabetes

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Mon, Apr 13 2015 5:37 AM

It used to be that eggs were NOT recommended for diabetics because:

a. Diabetics are in danger of high cholesterol

b. Eggs are high in dietary cholesterol

Newer research has shown that dietary cholesterol does NOT affect our body cholesterol levels, which are determined by our liver. Hence the recommendation from Finland that it is safe for diabetics to eat eggs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 29

The Washington Post as a new article which says that diabetes is rising horribly. 

type 2 diabetes diet

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Tue, May 5 2015 8:44 AM

There are many theories about the causes of the epidemic rise of diabetics type 2.

One is that in the industrialized world, people are increasingly chronically stressed because of recurring financial recessions, television hammering people with ads that insist that you are not really a human if you don't buy this or that piece of garbage, and that quality of life equals how much you earn or own. Consequently people are working two jobs, lying awake at night worrying, eating junkfood like what you get at macdonalds or pizzahut, and well still feeling stressed because you haven't earned enough, bought enough or done enough to satisfy society's demands. In addition stress in itself is known to raise blood sugar levels.

A second is simply to blame it all on laziness, people get home from work and spend the rest of the day until bedtime lying on the couch eating junkfood and watching garbage shows on television.

Whatever the psychological causes of people's state of mind, the fact is that the epidemic rise of diabetes type 2 in America has been proportionate to the rise of obesity in the population, which in many states is becoming the norm rather than the exception. And obesity, put simply, is caused by the old too many calories in too few calories out, equation, no matter what the 'fat is beautiful' crowd might say.

There you have it but not much can do about it as a society. Hopefully some individuals will protest and make healthy choices for themselves.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Thu, Jun 11 2015 9:45 AM

I would like to add to this discussion that the two most valuable discoveries I made in entire life, lifesavers literally, were the power of activity (walking) immediately after eating and the benefits of limiting carbohydrates to those low on the GI scale. Those two pillars of health allowed me to manage my diabetes without meds or insulin for 16 years. Now in my 17th year I'm on metformin, mostly thanks to a respiratory problem that limits my ability to be active. As for where to find the GI index I have found the Rick Mendosa website as well as books by Rick Gallup to be very helpful. Otherwise there is lots of information out there and available by way of google, just be aware that there is also a lot of bogus information available on the internet, particularly in the area of health, primarily by individuals trying to promote various versions of modern snake oil.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Mon, Jun 22 2015 3:23 PM

Based both on my personal experience in managing my type 2 diabetes over 17 years, and what I've read online and in articles, nothing better has come up for diabetics wanting to live healthier, than a Mediterranean style diet. That has also been proven with several blind studies looking at outcomes based on cardiovascular disease.

The main foundations of the diet are very modest amounts of red meat, supplemented with fish (preferably saltwater like salmon and sardines) and chicken, lots of fresh vegetables, pasta, olive oil and red wine in moderation. For diabetics there will be added benefits from heeding the glycemic index in order to limit carbs to those least likely to cause dramatic rises in blood sugars. (Examples: Potatoes baked or deep fried are OUT, potatoes, nugget, boiled are ok. White sticky rice is out, Basmati or Uncle Bens converted is ok. White bread and pasta are no nos, whole wheat or preferably whole grain of either is ok.

There's a reason that people living on the shores of the Mediterranean Ocean are generally known to be far healthier than people living in for example the UK or US. It starts with the old adage 'you are what you eat'.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS