Exercise

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman Posted: Sun, Jun 7 2009 3:03 PM

Exercise is such an important part of managing this disease, whether you have T1 or T2.  Its even important if you don't have diabetes....so, I was thinking we should perhaps have a thread where people discuss what they are doing and encourage eachother to do as much as possible.  To really help us get in better shape physically.

I'll start out.  Yesterday I rode my bicycle for 25 miles....took 1 hour and 45 minutes and today I rode my bike to my office 8 miles took 35 minutes.  I am expecting the ride home to take a similar amount of time.  It really does help with BS control, but besides that, I just feel better when I've gotten some good exercise.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:52 AM

Good job and good role model Madman! I , too, have been exercising more than I do in the cold winter months.  I am now walking 3 to 4 miles a day which includes some hilly terrain.  I feel so much better and actually had a 108 yesterday.  I will aquajog 30 min about 2 X a day when the lake gets warmer than 60!!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Mon, Jun 8 2009 8:42 PM

I go to an outfit called ExerCare that is connected with a hospital for post heart patients. I am currently doing 48 minutes of cardio vascular execises and a group of strength exercises three times a week. 24 minutes of the cardio vascular is on a treadmill, yet if I walk outside for a block or two I get chest pain.

Wierd,

Jorgie

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Wed, Jun 10 2009 2:29 PM

Hi, Jorgie -

I, too, do a hospital-based cardiac rehab program and have so for the past 16 (yes, sixteen) years.  Until three years ago, I went three times a week; now I go twice not because I couldn't benefit from three times but because I needed more time to work.  Cardiac rehab (which began years before my diabetes diagnosis) has been my life saver.

As to walking outside and getting chest pain versus walking on the treadmill:  Are you getting more or more extended rises in elevation outdoors?  Are temperature and wind factors?  Do you feel safer exercising in the hospital where help is available if you need it (and conversely less safe/anxious) exercising outdoors?  Just some thoughts. . . .

Keep up the good work -- It's worth it!

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 27
Nancy replied on Wed, Jun 10 2009 5:39 PM

Exercise is so important .My dietitien was concerned today when I told her my schedule before I swim 3 days a week.  I eat 45 carbs at breakfast at 5:30 am, (oatmeal with fiber and nuts) . At 7:30 I eat 30 more carbs in a coffee shop( no butter english muffin) ,meeting a group for tea. Then when I get to the 'Y" I test,take 3 glucose tabs to keep me up while I do an hour class of water aerobics. I end up in low 70's. This seems to work . Anyother ideas? I do not drive and also walk a mile home most days. I take januvia 100mg  and metformin 1,000mg. I will talk to my CDE tomorrow.  Nancy

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 8:54 AM

Kat,

The doctors can't give me a reason even though they have checked alot. Very little difference in elevation, and it happens summer and winter. I gujess I'll just have to use my own treadmill more.

jorgie

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 9:58 AM

Jorgie,

Strange how our bodies work. . . .

One of my walking routes has a very slightly elevated grade over about six blocks.  If I'm going to have chest pains while out walking (summer or winter), that's where it always happens. 

Have you been monitored (Holter monitor) while walking outdoors?

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Thu, Jun 11 2009 4:01 PM

No

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 13
SgtCedar replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 12:35 PM

For the last month I have walked every day. Smile The last day which I did not walk at least 1.5 miles was May 19th, election day here in Pennsylvania. I was poll watching all day so I was sitting most of the day which made matters even worse. I hurt for a week after that. I swore I would walk rain or shine after that. I know form past experience that if I miss 2 days in a row it will be too easy to stop walking.

I have lost something like 20 pounds since being diagnosed with diabetes. No, that is not since May 19th. I had been walking about 5 days a week for several months before election day. I used to lose weight by running when I was in the National Guard. Since developing arthritis my doctor will not let me run any more.

My glucose reading are normal again and the A1c dropped from 7% to 6.3%. My blood pressure dropped enough that I could stop one of the two blood pressure pills. My family doctor is thrilled. Yes

I alternate between a shorter and a longer distance. THe short distance is 2-2.25 miles and the longer is 3-3.25 currently. My eventual goal is to get up to at least 4 miles at least twice a week and 2 miles the other 5 days. These distances are symbolic for me. Two miles was the distance I was required to run twice a year in the National Guard. If you were not cleared to run you were required to walk 4 miles.

The most important thing I have learned since starting to walk every day is never stop. I have respiratory problems. Instead of stopping and resting when I get out of breath I now slow down and drink a little water. Always carry water if you are not in a city where you can always find water. I then walk slowly for a block or so until I catch my breath.

One trick I learned from a pamphlet from the American Diabetes Association is use a hiking staff. I have a fancy one but a branch will do. Use the stick to push yourself along just a little. The more you use your arms the more calories you burn. I am sure an exercise physiologist would say it does not burn enough calories to count but when you need to lose weight like I do every little bit helps.

If it rains take an umbrella. Umbrella Don't let anything stop you.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 13
SgtCedar replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 12:37 PM

If you have insurance get tested with a Holter monitor. It is easy and painless. It may save your life.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 1:21 PM

I use 100 Cals. for each mile walked/jogged.  So, your shorter days are 200 or so calories, and your longer days are 300 or so calories.  Combine that with a 200 or so calorie deficit from diet and you could easily lose 1 lbs/week.

for cycling, I estimate it at 40 Cals./mile.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
capester replied on Thu, Jun 18 2009 11:43 PM

The first year with this disease (type1) I found that exercise greatly reduced my insulin requirements. Being out of work I thought about how hard it was going to be to heat the house. I turned to splitting wood and never looked back. It's a Godsend. I maintain about a 100-120 glucose level cutting wood and have to ingest carbs at regular levels. My second year I found a job as a tech at a marina on the Cape. Lots of walking, and going up ladders. I ate a piece of birthday cake at the break today (not an everyday occurrence lol) by lunchtime I was about 130. I think when I retire I'll go into the wood business. My biggest problems are when playing couch potato!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 11:18 AM

Jorgie:

I go to an outfit called ExerCare that is connected with a hospital for post heart patients. I am currently doing 48 minutes of cardio vascular execises and a group of strength exercises three times a week. 24 minutes of the cardio vascular is on a treadmill, yet if I walk outside for a block or two I get chest pain.

Wierd,

Jorgie

Here is a little followup on the "chest pain". I also get chest pain when I cut the grass, so the other day when I felt it I started pushing the mower with just my right arm. Then when I was going to walk to the corner drug store I put my left hand in my pocket. No pain. I do have a messed up left shoulder, but had no idea that it would send pain across the chest.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 13
SgtCedar replied on Fri, Jun 19 2009 12:14 PM

I hurt my left shoulder during Desert Storm in 1991. It took over 24 hours in the hospital to prove that the chest pains I was having were caused by the accident which I had had two days earlier not a heart attack. Nearly two decades later I still get chest pains from time to time. I always have to go throught an EKG before the doctors will accept that it is the old shoulder injury.

However, it is not safe to just say it is shoulder pain when you have pain like you discribe.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Mon, Jun 22 2009 5:14 PM

Saw the Doc tor last week, nad he is recommending therapy and a tens unit.

Page 1 of 4 (48 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS