Exercise

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 12:42 AM

A cedar walking stick would probably last well in wet areas.  I have a sotol (a desert plant) stick which started to come apart in the wetter East.  The sotol (and other improvised wooden sticks) I've used are definitely quieter than my metal telescoping one, but the metal ones noise is at times an advantage. 

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 13
SgtCedar replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 7:49 AM

My cedar walking stick is made of two types of cedar. The shaft is white cedar. It is holding up very well. The handle is red cedar. It is a much softer wood. It scratches easily. If you are worried about wet weather you might want to consider bamboo. Brazos makes an iron bamboo stick. I have not used it but bamboo should hold up well in wet conditions.

Noise might be an issue depending on where you walk. If you are in an area with wildlife I could see an advantage to giving the natives a little warning.

The important thing is to keep moving. My rheumatologist told me to do whatever I had to do as long as I was exercising and losing weight.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Fri, Sep 11 2009 9:54 AM

I do walk where I share the path with wildlife.  Not too long ago I looked up to see a doe watching me intently.  I became still and stayed that way while she checked me out.  I must have looked safe because she turned and brought her twin fawns out from the underbrush and waited (watching me the entire time) while they crossed the dirt road I walk on.  I have come upon whole herds of deer grazing alongside the road.  Lots of wild turkeys this year, too. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

I am consdiering getting a pair of hiking poles..anyone have a brand they'd like to suggest? REI has so many to choose from..

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Mon, Nov 2 2009 3:07 PM

I don't know what's with me the last few weeks. My BG seems to be fairly well under control, but I have a total lack of energy. I've cut back on my exercise, and when I try to do yard work I have to rest about every ten or fifteen minutes.

Fortunately I'm getting a physical tomorrow, so maybe the Doctor can tell me what's going on.

jorgie

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:42 PM

tylersydney:
I am consdiering getting a pair of hiking poles..anyone have a brand they'd like to suggest? REI has so many to choose from..

I have a pair of Vasque boots that look something like this. They have been quite good in a moderate amount of use. They have not been worked hard enough to know how they stand up in the long run. Like so many things these days they are made in China!

Vasque Hiking Boots

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Mon, Nov 2 2009 6:52 PM

I just read this page I posted earlier this year.....ha....I went down hill along with the summer that never came.  Have not walked much this Fall.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 13

I got a nice set of Leki polls from American Hiking Society. They have worked well for me. They have lessened the problems with the arthritis in my knees and ankle. They were much cheaper than the same product from Amazon. I paid around $50 and the same ones on Amazon were about $70.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Tue, Nov 3 2009 9:10 AM

I have a pair of "triple sprung" Leki hiking poles and also a walking stick (telescoping) made for LL Bean by Leki.  For what I do -- some trail, some off trail -- I prefer the single stick.  If I were walking rapidly on a smooth surface, such as an old railroad bed, I might prefer the doubles, but I've seen plenty of people on the Appalachian Trail using doubles.  All my Lekis have been reliable, and I've had no problems with any of them -- except when I've neglected to tighten the joints and then I've had the occasional collapse.  But that was operator error.  Let us know what you get.

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Nov 3 2009 12:51 PM

Oops... I thought you were looking for boots. I've never used poles for walking.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

Thanks everyone:

I have great Eddie Bauer hiking boots...they last forever.

I went to REI and tried several styles of  trekking poles and talked to a very knowledgeable  sales guy.

I got an idea of what I wanted and needed...and could afford.

My travel hiking stick slips...(but was invaluable in Costa Rica). So I knew I wanted a better system and I was advised by a few friends to get poles with springs on the bottom.

then..checked and compared and

bought them on-line.....I had some REI points so that covered shipping plus a bit more. I expect them by Friday.

Black Diamond..(I think) sturdy..instead of twisting to tighten..there are heavy clips..no slippage..

read reviews and compared..in my price range...

So..now that the temps in AZ are HUMANE...ie:..not 115!!!!

I can think of AM hikes soon..It is a year since  ankle surgery... and I have no pain ...but..two toes are still stiff and nerves are not back yet...I swim a lot!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

Those Vasque boots look GREAT!

Next time I will look for them.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

Speaking of WILDLIFE..in AZ.we often see Coyote..Javalina..little squirrel-like critters..and tons of birds.....lizards and once..a baby brown bear..(during a severe draught)...rarely....a snake...and often..huge spiders!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Wed, Nov 4 2009 7:46 PM

Great results from my physical, H1C 6.4, Cholesterol 151 (66 & 39) only problem was tryglcirdes (SP) 234.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Mon, Feb 1 2010 5:41 PM

Oops, I slipped on the steps last weekend and broke my right kneecap So for the next 6 weeks I get to move around on crutches with a brace on my leg.

Page 3 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS