Anemia

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
jamesdw Posted: Thu, Aug 27 2009 8:28 PM

Hello everyone. I'm a 55 yr old male and I've had diabetes for about ten years and for the last three years I have developed  anemia. My meds are Avandamet, jenuvia,Liptor,Lisinipril.  I've been taking an iron supplement for a bout 4 mos but it doesn't help. My doctor was giving me shots of procrit about a year ago but i got fed up with the bills so i stopped taking it. Can anyone give me some advice?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Thu, Aug 27 2009 9:18 PM

Not sure how anemic you are, but my blood tests more often than not indicate I am just below the normal range, or slightly anemic. I've had the blood in stool tests, a colonoscopy, and endoscopy, with all findings normal. My doctor calls it anemia of chronic disease (diabetes). I have had trouble finding any information however that links diabetes with anemia. I've decided not to worry about it.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
jamesdw replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 4:40 AM

Thanks,  my diagnosis and expereince is the same as yours.  My number when tested every three months is 10.5 when I try to donate blood to the red cross, of course I get turned down.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 35
JoyceL replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 8:41 AM

Have you talked to your doctor about why you have anemia?

joyce

Joyce

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
jamesdw replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:03 PM

Yes it's anemia of chronic disease (diabetes).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
pumpngo replied on Fri, Oct 9 2009 2:32 AM

Hi I am anemic as well, It is not my hemaglobin or hematacrit that they look at but the ferretin levels for me. MY recent H& H was 12.0 and 30, just at normal, but my ferritin level was 18! So I had a series of three IV's and need to repeat the blood work every 6-8 weeks.

Since I can not tolerate the injection or pills, I have IV Infusions of ferritin about every three months.

I was also told not to donate blood anymore because that can really delpeat the your level faster than your body can replace them.

Thre are many different reasons for anemia. but I have never heard of it being connected with diabeties.. unless of course there is Kidney damage, then anima can be a symptom of CKD. 

What is your GFR? When did you last have a creatine level done? . ( simple blood and or urin test)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sat, Oct 10 2009 2:38 PM

I don't know what GFR is, but my creatinine level is normal and I am also anemic.  have been for a long time. Both HCT and HGB are low.  Doctor did all the tests but they showed nothing.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Hello James!

I have been diabetic since  1952 and have never been anemic until April of 2009.  I slowly developed symptoms for months, which symptoms were increasing inability to exercise at Curves, and getting out of breath when walking quickly.  I went to my doctor in April after almost passing out walking slightly uphill for about ten minutes.  She ordered blood work.  The upshot was I had to go to the hospital and get two units of blood or I would be in big trouble.  The improvement was immediate.  I was forced to get the usual tests for internal bleeding, as this can be a cause of anemia in a person who has never been anemic.  The tests revealed nothing, but I was taking Prilosec (a stomach medicine) along with SloFE, an iron supplement, for about four months.  At the end of that time I was not anemic at all.  I stopped the iron supplement and the Prilosec with the doctor's permission in mid-August.  My december blood work was normal.  Now I will get blood work every few months just to be sure.  The only change in my medication now is I don't take a baby aspirin every day, but I do use aspirin and advil as needed for headaches (which I seldom have).

I would suggest to you that you find another doctor.  Of course I don't know how detailed blood work he ordered, but there is a number in blood work called "hematicrit."  Normal for hematicrit is 36 to 40 or 41.  My number was 23 when I went to get the blood at the hostpital, and now it is in the low 40s.  Another thing you couold do is research anemia on line.  It has nothing to do with diabetes.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear Jamesdw:

Anemia of chronic disease is usually caused by a chronic infection or inflammatory disease that reduces the body's ability to make or maintain an adequate number of red blood cells.  It is usually associated with diseases such as: cancer, AIDS, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthiritis, chronic kidney disease.  It is not usually a co-morbidity associated with diabetes.  When you see your physician next you might ask him or her what he/she believes is the causation.   

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
jamesdw replied on Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:34 PM

Hello Liz,

I'm not convinced diabetes and anemia is not related.

thank you for sharing. Please do provide info you arer aware of.

Thanks,

Jim

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
jamesdw replied on Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:38 PM

Hello nora,

I was under the understanding diabetes IS a disease of inflammation and therefore would be considered co-morbid associated with anemia.

Thank you for your input,

Jim

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7
jamesdw replied on Tue, Dec 29 2009 6:47 PM

Nora,

Please review the information on this link and let me know what you think:

Inflammation & Diabetes:

http://www.achooallergy.com/chronic-inflammation-disease.asp

Thanks,

jim

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear Jim:

My apologies.  My answer was a bit off the mark.  I did some further research.  The low level inflammation of diabetes can cause anemia of chronic disease.      Many times people with diagetes who have anemia of chronic disease also have a renal component but that isn't necessary.  Apparently the anemia  is caused by increase in inflammatory cytokines, which raises  production of hepcidin (an iron regulatory hormone). Hepcidin blocks the release of iron from certain cells.  (from Molecular pathogenesis of anemia of chronic disease, Thomas Ganz. Pediatric Blood and Cancer Sept 2005)   

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:53 AM

Nora is there any specific treatment for the condition? My doctor flagged low RBC again at the last check, and I am scheduled to go in for a re-check in a couple of weeks.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 27
Nancy replied on Sat, May 29 2010 6:14 PM

Use of metforminover many years  can cause low levels of vit.b12 . I was tested for many anemic issues. Placed on oral B 12 1,000 mg for 6 months, then lowered to 500mg a day. I now test in the low normal range for anemia. Nancy

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS