Vegetarian Mole

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 41
mrfino Posted: Fri, Dec 12 2008 10:27 AM

I've been making this off and on for at least 5 years.I got it from the Nutrition Action Health Letter.

VEGETARIAN MOLE

Adapted from Weight Watchers New 365 Day Menu Cookbook (Macmillan, 1996).

4 large pitted prunes
1 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. granulated sugar
2 tsp. mild or hot chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbs. + 1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 medium red onion, cut into I"
pieces
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium green bell peppers,
seeded and cut into 1" pieces
1 cup diced pared butternut squash
(1/2" pieces)
1/2 medium carrot, halved
lengthwise and cut into 1/4" slices
1/2 cup sliced yellow squash (1/2"
pieces)
2 cups crushed tomatoes (no salt
added)
8 oz. drained cooked black beans
8 oz. drained cooked chickpeas

In a blender or food processor, combine the prunes, cocoa powder, sugar, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and 1/2 cup water; puree until smooth. Set aside.

In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil; add the onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until the onion is softened. Add the bell peppers; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until the bell pepper is softened. Add the butternut squash and carrot; cook, stirring frequently, for 7 minutes, until the squash is just tender. Add the yellow squash; stir to coat.

Add the tomatoes, black beans, chickpeas, and reserved prune mixture to the vegetable mixture; bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to low; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender and the flavors are blended. Serves 4.

PER SERVING (recipe made using regular crushed tomatoes and drained and rinsed canned beans)

Calories: 270            Sodium: 530 mg
Total Fat: 6 grams Cholesterol: 0 mg
Saturated Fat: 1 gram Carbohydrate: 47 grams
Fiber: 13 grams Protein: 10 grams
Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS