Taboule Salad

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 173
zrebiec Posted: Sun, Dec 21 2008 12:29 PM

So here's my starter recipe for Taboule salad. Like all good recipes, add a bit of this or that, delete some o' this or that, and you'll be able to customize this to suit your tastes.

For 6 servings:
2 cup pre-soaked bulgur*
3 cups minced fresh parsley (I often use dried - taste is different, but okay)
1/4 cup finely chopped mint (or 4teaspoons of dried mint or a "good splash" of mint extract)
2 scallions finely chopped (any onion can work)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (I use more)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I use more)
2 tomatoes cut into 1/2inch cubes
3 tablespoons lemon juice (I use more)
3 tablespoons oil (olive, canola, safflower, or a mixture)

*To presoak bulgur: 1 cup bulgur in a bowl. Add 1 cup room temp water onto bulgur. Let sit (stand?) for 30-60-90 minutes 'til edible w/o breaking your teeth.

In a large bowl, gently mix together all ingredients EXCEPT for the lemon & the oils, with a wooden spoon.

Add lemon, toss & chill for at least an hour to blend the flavors.

Before serving toss gently again with oil.

Serve in a mound on a bed o' good lettuce, add cucumber slices and/or yoghurt.

Being the lazy and/or forgetful type, I add the oil with the lemon before refrigerating.
===============

My bag o' bulgur sez that 1 serving = 1/4 cup DRY bulgur (so, technically, this recipe should make 8 servings, but since it's yummy it only serves 6 ;-) ). 1/4 dry amounts to 30gm carbo, of which 7 are dietary fiber.
------------------------------
Laurie.not an MD
Type 1 since teen years (~30 years)
Chronic optimist

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 4

I really love it, it's delicious! I made it the other day and we ate it with this high fiber plus diabetic friendly pita bread I recently discovered. With the baked bread it was a great meal for the whole family.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS