DR Richard Bernstein Diet

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
lebrecht Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:40 PM

I have started to follow this diet and find it is so far the best.  I am on insulin and a type 2 BUT on this diet can get off insulin and lose weight.

So why not ?  It is a very strict diet and no room for cheating or error.

Not much left to choice.

A question for you TOR?  The  GG Scandinavians crisp bread is only available by case.

Otherwise I found that the shipping cost was more than the crisp bread. Have you found it at a reasonable price or do you buy a case?

Tor you are my inspiration to continue on this plan.  I admire you for your perseverance.

Anne

Type 2  for 25 years. On insulin, Humalog, Lantus. 

Published author:     http://www.annelebrecht.com 

Novels, Poetry, Short Stories, Articles.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 77

I have found a source for the GG Scaninavian crisp bread Dr. Bernstein suggests.

http://www.netrition.com/gg_bran_crispbread_page.html

They ship for $4.95 in USA

Am doing well and losing weight. OFF INSULIN.

I hope this keeps up for me.

Anne

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
whalen replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:26 AM

Anne-

That is wonderful news.  I'm glad it is working for you.

Galemarie

Type 2, lantus and humalog 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:09 AM

HI Anne:

I'm glad it is working for you, but I could never go on a diet that is so low in carbs.  I was on one once and I lost weight but I could not sustain it.  I finally had to go off it and eventually gained the weight back.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:15 PM

Most of the people I know who have done an extremely low carb Dr. Bernstein-like approach to either weight loss or diabetic management have reported the same experience as Jen.  It is extremely difficult to maintain over the long term.  Then, when it fails you are back at square one.  Far better, I think, to develop a moderate approach right off the bat that you can live with...I truly mean LIVE WITH, like for the rest of your life. Because that's how long you will have diabetes.

Spirit

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:39 PM

Often the reason people want to do this is becasue they want to get off of insulin and meds.  They feel that having to take  meds means they hae failed.  I would rather take the meds (and believe me I would rather not spend the $100.00 a month) and be able to eat normal meals than to be feeling like I am deprived and then really open to another so-called failure.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

IKEA has it

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
lebrecht replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:43 PM

I am so sick of the 4 shots a day and expense that I am willing to try most anything. This may not be a healthy approach and I agree may not be sustainable for life, but after 20 years of failure and only getting more obese yearly, sometimes a drastic change is the answer.

So far I am still OFF insulin after 20 years. I am so aware of the fact that this may not last, BUT I am enjoying this rest for the time being and am not at all hungry. I think the biggest help is those GG Scandinavian crackers as they are very filling with 1 carb and good with cream cheese. I also make the cheese puff's from Dr. Bernstein's book and that is a great snack.

I am not trying to sell this diet to anyone, only reporting about it and what it and how it is working for me.

Anne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Fri, Nov 13 2009 6:46 PM

Anne:  I am really glad that it is working for you and I don't mean to be discouraging.  We all have to find our own path in dealing wth this disease.  One of the things that seems to be a deal breaker with very low carb diets is that people tend to look at ALL carbs as bad.  If, along the way, you discover foods that are relatively low carb (maybe the high fiber ones) but satisfy your taste buds you will be able to modify your meal plan as you go so that YOU are happy and your blood glucose level is happy, too.  I admire your motivation to lose weight as well. 

Spirit

Not Ranked
Posts 1

My name is Sharon and this is my first time to this forum.

I am T2 and am overweight.  I am taking 2000mg of Metformin per day.  I read your post about Dr. Bernstein's diet and feel I can add some encouragement and comment.

Congratulations on getting off your insulin and being able to lose weight.  I have read Dr. Bernstein's book and picked up his Diabetes Diet book also and have read that.  I am going to start either his diet or go back on the Atkins diet.  I may try a combination of the two (a few more veggie carbs once in a while).

Back in 1999, before I was diabetic, I went on the Atkins diet and lost 70 lbs.  It works wonderful and since his death in 2003 a diabetes Atkins book has been published.  I just started reading it and it is similar to Dr. Bernstein but allows a little more carbs, up to 40 to 60 per day, depending on how your blood sugars are stabalized.  I gained most of the weight back after 2004 because I am an emotional eater and love carbs and just didn't care.  Then I found out I was diabetic in 2008.  I tried the diets the doctors and diaticians gave me, but no weight loss and I always felt hungry and could not control my carb intake and amount.  For me, it looks like low carb is the way to go.  I believe it will lower my blood sugars because when I was on the Atkins diet, my cardiologist was able to take me off almost all of my heart meds once I lost weight.  The blood sugar should come down.

Just thought I would mention the Atkins Diabetes book for you to check out.  You can find it on Amazon and Ebay.  If you find Dr. Bernstein too difficult to maintain, this may be an option.

Keep up the good work!  I will post how it is working for me after I get used to totally changing my lifestyle.  I also have a few thousand low carb recipes that I am reading and will be testing on me and my husband.  Hopefully I will be able to create a source of great meals without all the carbs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
lebrecht replied on Fri, Dec 11 2009 1:11 AM

Good Luck Sharon. I have tried Atkins and for me it is too many carbs so I would need insulin. Bernstein is working  better for me, as I do NOT want to take insulin.

I do not eat anything that I am not permitted on the  Bernstein diet. So far so GOOD!

Anne

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 133

I have not posted here in a while.  As my username suggests, I am frequently zero carbs and rarely go above the Bernstein carbohydrate limits (if I do, my blood sugar spikes, so I'm not cured).  I'm a 26 year diabetic now in my mid-60s, and I can maintain blood sugar levels under 100, 24/7 with little difficulty.  I don't count carbs, fat, protein, calories or anything.  One wrinkle I incorporated about a year ago, different from Bernstein, is intermittent fasting.  I generally don't eat in the A.M., often skip lunch, and once in a while skip dinner.  I've been very low carbing for 8 years, and haven't had as much as a cold in that time.  My diabetic complications were reversed and I would not consider adopting a low fat mainstream diet, as much as I love bread, pasta and the like.  Then again, nature's most perfect food, bacon, is very much allowed in my diet.  What's not to like.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sat, Dec 12 2009 10:14 PM

Nomorecarbs

You say you have reversed your diabetes, that there is no cure.  You have not reversed your diabetes, you are just staving off spikes by not eating carbs.  Most people are incapable of such a dramatic lifestyle.  I would rather take insulin, than have to eat that way and fasting once a year, at the High Holy Days, is enough for me.  My most recent A1C was 5.1 and counting carbs is not a difficult thing to do.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 133

jen1229,

Actually, I said that I had reversed my diabetes complications.  However, to a degree, it's semantics.  In many ways, I have reversed my diabetes.    I also, stated that if I ate a lot of carbs, I still spike, so that I was not cured.  I proved that the other day with a chocolate covered eclair, chocolate covered doughnut, and 3 granny smith apples.  Wasn't worth taking 36 hours to get my blood sugar levels back to the 70s and 80s that I target.

I did want to let Anne know that some of us find this diet sustainable, I've been doing it for 8 years.  Do I once in a while stray?  Yes, but it's a very once in a while kind of thing.  I actually started with Atkins, was eating to my meter before I heard of Dr. Bernstein.  But I did learn a lot from his book.

Now, I was once a vegetarian, so I'm come 180 degrees.  But for me, it's been a lifesaver.  I can't say how diabetes impairs me in any way.   If they discovered a cure for diabetes tomorrow, I might not take it, because I would continue to live the lifestyle I do, it's ingrained in me, and I think it is a natural fit for me.   Would I like to be able to eat pizza, bread, and the like?  You bet, they are great.  But I'm well aware of how they affect me, and am now pretty much turned off by carby foods.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS