Cold cereals and BG

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374

Fiber One flakes with oat clusters is very good, high in fiber.  Special K Protein Plus is also high in fiber and protein and very good on bg levels for me.  Of course, like any other food, your bg reaction may be different and you must check your levels to see what happens to your bg levels.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 35

The Honey Clusters one is really good. I did find out that the soy milk is what helps to keep the spiking of bg away for her though when Melissa spent the weekend at her brother's house last weekend. I didn't think that she needed to take her soy milk, and I was wrong. She spiked both days. Skim milk is high glycemic because there is no fat. Soy has less carbs also.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Sat, Jul 3 2010 10:11 PM

I'm a big fan of Silk unsweetened soy milk.  Before that came along, I was watering my skim milk down.  And when I started on unsweetened soy milk, I mixed it half and half with skim milk.  Now, I even water down my soy milk -- half cup soy milk, and half cup water.  Since soy milk is thicker than skim milk to begin with, the watered-down soy milk ends up sort of the consistency of skim milk.  And when mixed with the cereal, the 2g carb watered-down unsweetened soy milk doesn't taste any different from the original 4g unsweetened soymilk.  (Which tastes just as good as milk to me.)  Milk has 12 grams carbs per cup, and when water is added for half of it, it is still 6g carbs.  None of this may seem like much of a difference, but done on a daily basis every morning, adds up.  Sometimes on vacations I take the little cartons of Silk Unsweetened Soy Milk that don't need refrigeration (until you open them.)  Have you seen those?  Usually in the health foods section on the shelf.

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 9:11 AM

I'm not a cereal eater.  I bought some of the new chocolate cheerios to have for a snack.  I don't like milk in my cereal because the cereal gets soggy before you can eat it.  I also like soy slender, the chocolate flavor just not together.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Sun, Jul 4 2010 1:05 PM

I'm a Type 1 using Novolog in my pump.  I also take Symlin with meals over 30 carbs or over 300 calories.  I eat whatever I want.  The Symlin helps avoid the spikes.  An hour after meals, my blood sugars run 90-120.  So I recommend adding Symlin to your regimen as a way to eat whatever you choose and still avoid post-prandial spikes.  Symlin is a synthetic form of Amylin, a hormone the pancreas produces to help maintain blood sugar control and control hunger.  But as Type 1's, our pancreases do not make Amylin, just as they do not make insulin.  So we need a little help.

Julia

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
aat3877 replied on Sat, Jan 8 2011 7:09 PM

Me too.  I avoid them even though I love them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Tab32 replied on Tue, Jan 11 2011 7:15 PM

hey phil. I am a Type 1 on a Medtronic pump as well.  I've been a Type 1 for 37 years.  I used to eat cold cereals as well and found the same thing happen.  It's a little bit easier with the pump and giving a dual wave bolus.  But it's still not perfect.  Somebody mentioned Special K Protein Plus.  That's a low carb alternative, high in protein as well.  Look for those type cereals.  There's never been more on the market than now, just got to read the labels. I switched to the Irish Steel mill oatmeal, the quick cooking version.  It works for me, I usually put cinnamon on it.  I'd stay away from the bananas,  they are loaded with sugar.  When you add bananas, milk and the cereal your carb total is probably over 60gms.  Almost half of that comes from the bananas.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

I'm kinda like Triv. I find it difficult to gain weight without adding carbs back into diet. Over the holidays I ate more than my share of Carb Smart Ice Cream, not only did it add weight but it did raise my bgs 20-30 points some days. So no more buying ice cream. Oh, by the way I put the nuts on top of the ice cream, so double whammy. I find nuts by themself are ok but when I make a lot of cookies or treats with nuts I have a hard time limiting myself to a few. It is so easy to eat the whole batch in a day. So I do have to watch how many days I cook treats. I think part of the problem is this cold, dreary winter we have been having. We have had snow on the ground constantly for 2 months with only 1 or 2 warm days ( 30) in between. I haven't been walking as much as I should so I think that affects bg and weight. It is not unusual for me to vary 2-3 pounds in one day depending on what I eat.

Chicago maids|chicago cleaning

Not Ranked
Posts 1
newguide replied on Sun, Apr 24 2011 12:18 PM

My understanding is this: There are 3 types of carbs...starch, sugar and fiber...and TOTAL carb is the sum total of all these. This is what anyone watching carbs should be counting. Also if something has 5 gms or more of fiber, this can be subtracted from the total carbs number. This is what I learned while doing the South Beach Diet, and now that I have to pretty much low-carb it all the time, it serves me well. izrada web stranica izrada internet stranica

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Mon, Apr 25 2011 3:22 PM

Cereal with dried fruit really turns me off. I do like fresh strawberries raspberries or blueberrys though. But that's just my opinion.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 5
dmack881 replied on Thu, May 26 2011 1:27 AM

I also have some trouble with adding bananas in your breakfast cereal. I love them but they do spike my BG and trigger substantial foot pain which makes me nervous. I guess each of us are a unique.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:17 PM

Not only does dry cereal for breakfast give me a guaranteed bg spike, but I'm hungry an hour after eating it because of the insulin release and rebound affect. So definitely a double whammy.  And, incidentally, according to the GI list - which shows how quickly a particular type of carbs will spike blood sugars - the two absolute worst breakfast choices as a diabetic are America's most popular day starters - Kellogg's Corn Flakes and/or pancakes with maple syrup.  However, even a bran based cereal with omega-3 added and fresh fruit for taste will easily send most people's blood sugar levels soaring. That's because any kind of processed cereal, made soggy with milk, is among the easiest carbs to digest. And easy means bad.

Over the years I've found that what works best for me is a breakfast with a healthy dose of protein - e.g. boiled eggs and smoked salmon - and a low GI wholegrain bread made from rye or barley, with a side of a green salad. I used to get away with oatmeal porridge made from steel cut oats but ultimately that too became unmanageable unless I was prepared to go for a majorly long and brisk walk immediately after eating.

Tor

Not Ranked
Posts 1
NadineZook replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 12:13 AM

Hi everyone, once again Im shocked ! I cannot believe they tell us on this site that its ok to eat, starcy carbs ie: pastas,whole grain breads, most fruits , etc. After reading Dr. Bernsteins book and his diabetes diet book I agree with his theory, big time. I cant understand either many of the recipes on this web site also says its ok to have splenda, with cottage cheese , sugar free jelly all at once. do they have any idea how many carbs that is in one sitting ?! Im nuts here ! I cant believe some people on here who are diabetic eat those foods, and continually write them on the diabetic recipies forum here. I just cant!!!!. I was eating grapes , thinking they were ok .. only to find out they were the single most high food i was eating and t hinking they were ok .. in turn keeping my BG level high . I dont get it , I just dont. I do allow myself to eat gala apples, since I have to have at least one fruit, since STOPPING the grapes my bg levels have dropped way down ,, actually since following dr. B's diet / and book I have dropped my levels wayyy down into normal range. Also , has anyone else here gotten VERY high bg levels after eating just ONE bite of candy or a few baked potato chips? I cannot believe how fast they rise ! Its almost as if I have created MORE of an intolerance of these foodssince cutting them from my diet all together,, even a tiny bit of these foods will raise my numbers to over 120 even an hour after I eat them. Any reason for this ?
many thanks

Nadine

pheromones

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Fri, Jul 29 2011 2:21 AM

Dr. Bernstein is not for everyone, but it does work for those with the discipline and desire to make it work.  Nothing said in the thread implies that eating refined carbs is good for anyone, much less diabetics.  If you read the posts carefully you will see that they refer to whole grains, foods with fiber (including some fruits and vegetables) and generally those foods with a low glycemic index.  Splenda is not absorbed or broken down in the body so it does not raise bg levels.  What's wrong with cottage cheese or sugar free jelly?  Neither will raise bg levels very much.  The main theme here is do what works for you.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear NadineZook:

Yes, this is something we often see in clinic.  Pteints who eat very low carbohydrate tend to have much greater spikes in blood glucose after eating even moderate amounts of carbohydrate compared to those who eat a moderate amount on a consistent basis.

Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS