How much of what we all know, just ain't so!

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 133
nomorecarbs Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2010 11:04 PM

Little by little, the evidence trickles out that much of what we are told by the 'experts' just ain't so.  This article is an example, though it won't surprise any very low carbers, Bernstein or Atkins dieters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35058896/ns/health-heart_health//

Take a look at the very end of the article.  If you want to reduce the risk of CVD, eat less carbohydrate and lose weight.  That's the same way many of us have chosen to control our blood sugars without medication.

The article mentions triglycerides as well.  I wish they received more publicity.  The surest way to reduce triglyceride levels is to slash your carbohydrate intake.  But since that is presumed to be a 'bad' practice, we don't actually hear much about triglycerides, instead, cholesterol gets all the attention.  Hopefully, this article and similar research will put an end to the hysteria about dietary cholesterol and coronary disease.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 8:49 AM

that article just reconfirms what Barry Sears said over 10 yrs ago.  This is nothing new. 

Also, there's a Berkley Heart Panel that you can get that will tell you all the information referred to in that article, and then some.  The only difference is the measurements are not made via ion mobility.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 12:17 PM

Remind me again how Atkins died...

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 2:25 PM

He died from injuries sustained in a fall.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 7:30 PM

Simi_Papa:
He died from injuries sustained in a fall.

Are you really sure? Here is an article which gives some substantial reasons to believe there was a little more to it than that. His wife could have cleared it all up by having an autopsy done. She refused, and continues to benefit from the Atkins money making machine.

Cause of Atkins Death?

So in the absence of an autopsy I have to conclude he had a heart attack or stroke first and then fell.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 8:41 PM

So you are now basing your decisions on speculation?  And wasn't he like 73 yrs old?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Tue, Feb 23 2010 9:37 PM

I doubt the Atkins money machine would sustain any significant losses even if he died of a heart attack or stroke.  The coroner's cause of death was from injuries sustained in the fall.  The rest is speculation since he admitted to having had heart failure in the past.  Strokes and heart attacks are not always a result of poor diet anyway. 

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 12:55 AM

I'm saying that if there was nothing to hide, there would have been an autopsy. There was no autopsy allowed.  An autopsy could likely have found that his arteries were clogged with cholesterol and plaque. This would have been devastating to the Atkins Money Machine.

The coroner had to make a decision on cause of death based on external observations only. He was 72 and well short of the expected lifespan of someone who was fit and eating a heart healthy diet. Make of it what you want.

Ron

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:22 AM

I know what your saying...its all speculation.  You normally stick to studies....there is no study here, no evidence, nothing.  There's probably a better way to support what you're saying then using speculation, no?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Wed, Feb 24 2010 1:08 PM

Actually Mrs. Atkins later admitted that there had been blockages of his arteries. There is little point of dragging out studies which show the obvious. I just take the advice of the Heart, Stroke, and Diabetes Foundations. They are not saying to go out and eat a high fat, high protein diet.

Ron

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
Sugarboo replied on Thu, Feb 25 2010 10:26 PM

I am a new member reading your posts and replies. For the record, I went on Atkins twice for about two months each. I ate chicken, meat, cheese, nuts, olive oil, mayonaise, eggs, and low glycemic vegies. In 6 weeks after starting the diet, my cholesterol went from 182 to 135. I had it checked three times at different labs. I do think that if you eat healthy fats while on the type of plan that it is ok. You shoudln't be eating tons of cheese and hotdogs and bacon and cream. I ate these in small amounts. After living with Juvenille diabetes for 35 years, I do think that eating low glycemic is what will keep a diabetic healthy and free from complications as long as you watch your bloodsugars and exercise. I also think that It is the simple sugar carbs that are mixed with that fats , like a salami sub from subway, that is what caused all the problems.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS