new board

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1
annie Posted: Wed, Jan 7 2009 9:02 PM

so tell me how this board is an improvement?  i have only been a lurker since i'm a poor typist, but i learned a lot from the previous board.  seems like most of the knowledgeable people have left and it's become a waste of time to even check.  guess it's time to find a new place.  please joslin, is there any way this can be fixed?  surely there are other people like me out there who wanst this board to succeed.  if i were the sponsor i'd withdraw my $$$.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Thu, Jan 8 2009 1:34 AM

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just lost my posting for the third time.  bring back the old board,  I hate this one (and you will never get to know what I was posting because "three strikes and you are out..

Jen

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 128
whalen replied on Thu, Jan 8 2009 12:20 PM

I too miss the old Boards.  It's not that I am resistant to change-we just seem to have lost so many people - and even those we haven't lost don't post much.  I hope this hiatus is just temporary.

Galemarie

Type 2, lantus and humalog 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 306
donw replied on Thu, Jan 8 2009 7:24 PM

When I was a boy my grandfather used to tell me, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  That is the way I feel about the current situation with the discussion boards.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for improvements but maybe the powers that be at Joslin should have asked the users what we wanted improved before they redesigned the whole thing.

Don

"O Diem Praeclarum!"Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Thu, Jan 8 2009 7:40 PM

Seems to me there are pros and cons for each of the boards. The new board is more consistent with most of the on line forums. I find it easier to insert photos. It also has a neat feature where you highlight a portion of the post you are responding to, and then it gets inserted into the new post. The format is nicer than the old without the hard wrapped lines, and ">" signs to indicate quoted text. While the spell check takes a step to set it up, I now use it on other forums and was good to learn about. The best part of it, is that you can now add odd words specific to diabetes such as Prandin and A1C, and it will not flag them as mis-spelled. The old forum could not do that.

On the old board I did like that nested feature where you could see graphically who was responding to each post, although some never used it. I used the page feature from time to time.

Has anyone checked the old board to see if links were posted to the new one? I think that would help a lot, in getting the old crowd over to the new.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Thu, Jan 8 2009 8:14 PM

I guess I don't hate the new board, but I am not very impressed either. U am seeing a lot less entrys from folks.

jorgie

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Thu, Jan 8 2009 9:54 PM

Seems like Google is still not finding this forum. I did a Google search on Diabetes Forum, and on page 15 of the results I found a link to my post flagging the problem:

http://forums.joslin.org/JoslinDiscussionBoards/p/121/393.aspx

Probably one of the main reasons there is no new traffic. The other is that I am not sure you can post as a guest or anon like you could on the old??

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Fri, Jan 9 2009 9:03 AM

From my experience working in the office for many years, perhaps that is the reason.....less entries= no need.

So I am  making it a point to make an entry every time I find someone to comment on.  I can not find a second new entry tho....just the first...after I send this, I will be lost.......lost with diabetes.....not a good thing.

shortie

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374

I have yet to lose a post on this new board.  The last time I visited the old board you couldn't post anything.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

How do you put a photo or place male/female sign on your post?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 58
Short-Jan replied on Fri, Jan 9 2009 10:22 PM

Go to the top of the page. On the right hand side you  will find your user name and next to that will be "edit". Click on edit and you will go to your profile page where you have the opportunity to change your image, add a bio, and complete the other profile information.

Hope that helps.

Jan

type 1 dx. 1955

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 27
Nancy replied on Sat, Jan 10 2009 7:06 AM

Yes, change is diffecult but I am adjusting. Still very happy to have the information from all of you if I have a question. Nancy

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12
naniwa replied on Sat, Jan 10 2009 5:48 PM

They didn't promise an improvement. They promised a sponsor and new software.

Well, we got it.

One reason Google doesn't find this board is that the admins haven't told them about it *or* executed a redirect file. And the meta-keywords are still "diabetes, discussion board, forums, community, type 2, type 1, insulin." We at least need diabetic, metformin, newly-diagnosed, diabetic diet, Joslin, sugar diabetes, etc. We should skip words like "forum" and "community." If they don't know which keywords got users to the old site, they could ask Google and Yahoo. Sheesh, people.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Sat, Jan 10 2009 7:00 PM

Just for the sake of argument, I just put only the word Joslin in google. I think clicked on discussion boards and here I am. Really tough??????

jorgie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sat, Jan 10 2009 7:22 PM

I do like the fact that I can get the responses e-mailed to me.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Page 1 of 7 (97 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS