new board

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Tue, Feb 3 2009 9:30 AM

Ron -- Google, The Omnipresent. . . .I hope I'm right in assuming that the Joslin posts you reference are for "Kat" and not my real name or email address.   The search on my real name, on the other hand, would yield enough info for someone who really wanted to contact me to do so. 

>Don't think it is possible to hide from Google.

No, and the finds go back more than 15 years.

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Feb 3 2009 12:55 PM

I would expect that you could not find your personal profile here with Google. Should be protected. Not the posts though.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

I tried to change the avator.....chose a photo..it will not upload

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 63
Joe replied on Tue, Feb 3 2009 10:55 PM

I really liked the tree structure of the old board -- it made it handy to scan what's happening quickly and who is responding then I could just move down and expand those messages that are new or I want to read.

Joe Buffalo

Type 2 Dx'd 4/98;

"Even if you're on the right track, You'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 306
donw replied on Wed, Feb 4 2009 9:21 AM

Ron, I did a Google search yesterday and could not find out any information about myself linked to Joslin.  The infpormation here is not open to the public as far as I can tell.

Don

"O Diem Praeclarum!"Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Spirit replied on Wed, Feb 4 2009 9:53 AM

Joe Buffalo:  I agree.  I spend a lot of time just cruising back and gorth on the new board.  I really did prefer the old one.  I am trying, however, to get adjusted here. Depends on my mood and time whether or not I spend time here and bother to reply.  This new board is colorful and slick, but I am nostalgic for the old one. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Wed, Feb 4 2009 11:17 AM

donw:

Ron, I did a Google search yesterday and could not find out any information about myself linked to Joslin.  The information here is not open to the public as far as I can tell.

If you mean the personal information in the profile, then yes I would expect that is not available to the public. But when I did a search using your tag line and your name (Don) it came up with a couple of recent posts that you made.

However the public personal information does seem to be found by Google. For example I entered your age, city, state, and Joslin, and this link came up as the #3 hit.

http://forums.joslin.org/members/donw/files/Living-Longer.jpg.aspx

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Thu, Feb 5 2009 2:18 PM

tylersydney,

Your file may be too big. Did you get an error message?

An avatar image can only be up to size 80X80 so that may be where you are running into trouble.

Eric

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

I have tried..repeatedly to upload a photo to the Change Avatar..

no go......

?????????????????

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12
naniwa replied on Sun, Feb 8 2009 4:07 PM

And what is up with the bogus tag cloud on the home page? Do we really talk about pumpkins that often? And what's up with the oddly named "Type II Humalog and Lantus" one?

How are they generating their tag cloud?

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 41
mrfino replied on Sun, Feb 8 2009 7:50 PM

Very few posts are tagged so it's easy for a topic to predominate in the cloud.

John

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 63
Joe replied on Sun, Feb 8 2009 10:57 PM

OK, is there any way to get thru a long multipage thread to just the new stuff without having to wade thru everything everytime?

With the old structure we could do that quite easy -- now.......

Joe Buffalo

Type 2 Dx'd 4/98;

"Even if you're on the right track, You'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

Thaks

got it...how about a HELP page or into sent to all l users to make sure we can all use all of the functions of the new board.???and have them sent to the OLD users too??? 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 100
kat replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 9:47 AM

Joe,

Try this:

On the Home page, to the right of the Welcome message, is a list, the last of which is View all discussions.  Click on that.  That takes you to Topics.  Immediately above Topics is a horizontal list on which one of the choices is Unread.  Click on that. 

By doing the above, I can read all the new messages without having to re-read the old ones.  The older ones are, however, available if you scroll up from the new one you're reading.

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:22 AM

naniwa,

Its a good point. The simple answer is that there are not a lot of tagged posts so the ones that are tagged predominate. Most of those I tagged just to get it started.

I would encourage everyone to tag their posts so it is easier to find a topic. If no one wants to use the tags then the tag cloud can always be removed.

~eric

Page 4 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS